Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with VL Drum Brake Removal

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl
Thanks figjam. I’m getting the feeling the gympie and not the rubber mallet is going to be needed!

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl
Some drums have a couple of holes where you can use a bolt to tighten into and force the drum out.

You could also try using a drum removal tool or slide hammer.

It doesn't make sense that there's no adjustment though.

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl
839B4C50-8B48-4517-9758-B681D7BDC732.png
Hey syked, yes it is weird there is no adjuster. The best picture I could find on the Internet was this one. The hole is located behind the long silver arm on the right hand side which i am sure is the hand brake lever as on the left hand side is the hole where the handbrake cable comes through.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
There is an adjuster there in the pic.
You sure you can't get to it from behind?
839B4C50-8B48-4517-9758-B681D7BDC732.jpg

Spearwoodlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Sl
On the bottom???
No, there is no other hole apart from what I described

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A good way is, firstly hit it on the sides with a hammer (6LB sledge if required)....With a decent flat bladed screw driver or alikes, use that as a lever all around the drum, to lever it back and forth, even whilst tapping with the hammer

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
whether its disk(with shoes for handbrake) or drum brakes they both have adjuster slot at the rear. U need a bent tool to get into the small gap behind to release adjuster.

Chances are the adjuster is still locked or you adjusted it the wrong way. Spray some wd40 around drum/disk centre and leave overnight to penetrate any rust inside if it was parked outside or on grass for a long time.

Adjust the star adjuster completely one way. Then hold loose part towards you and hit opposite tight side of disk/drum at an angle towards you with rubber mallet and it should release.

It might take a lot of bashing if old shoes are grooved heavily into drums/disk.

You only need a small flat bladed screwdriver to move the adjuster, not necessarily a bent tool as suggested