Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help with Vt calias speaker wiring code

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais 1999
hay all i got the wiring code for the head unit to the 4 door speakers but i need the wiring code for the amp and subs in the parcel shelf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hay all pulled out the amp in my calais and got all the wiring clouurs just wondering if u can tell me what wire does what like power, ground and stuff like that

Amp
2 x black with blue stripe
2 x orange with blue stripe
blue with black stripe
blue with orage stripe
yellow with blue stripe
brown with black stripe

8" inch subs wire clours
green with red stripe
green with white stripe
yellow with red stripe

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Why do you need the wiring colours? Planning on on re-installing it in another car?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais 1999
i want to take it out and add a new amp with the same wirers

Last edited:

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
You'll probably need to run a new power cable from the battery, the stock amps are not very powerful and therfore dont require a huge power cable.

It dosent sound right that the stock subwoofer have 3 wires coming out of each, are you sure thats right?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais 1999
8" inch subs wire clours

RIGHT SIDE
green with red stripe
green with white stripe

LEFT SIDE
yellow with red stripe
yellow with wite striap

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
OK well that sounds better...you had more wondering there ;)

I dont think you'll have much luck finding the wiring diagram for the stock amp, if i was you (and wanted to keep using the stock subs) i'd get another amp and run a new power cable from the battery. I imagine your still using the stock head-unit? if so then you'll need an amplifier with high level inputs or buy a LOC (line out converter) which converts speaker cable into RCA cables.

If you want to go down this route PM me and i can draw up a little diagram that shows you what to do.
Personally i would bother with installing a new amp to run the factory subs, they arent the best. If you do go to the trouble of installing a new amplifier then its only a little more work (and money) to fit an aftermaket sub in a prefab enclosure. Which in my opinion will sound HEAPS better over the stock ones. The only drawback besides the money (probably an extra $150) is the space the box will take up in your boot.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais 1999
hay mate that would be great and what my plan is to run to aftermarket 15inch subs so and digram u can help me with would be much appreaiceated

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Are you replacing the stock amp / sub setup because it has stopped working or simply upgrading? This will make a difference as far as the input / LOC wiring goes.

Ok well below is a quick diagram of what you need to do.

For the ACC input you need to find a wire that turns on / off with the ignition swtich (the cig. lighter wiring is a good spot)

For the earth connection on the amp you'll need to find a good solid peice of metal, and sand it back to bare metal before attaching the ring terminal. The seatbelt bolt at the bottom of the back seat is a good spot.

As far as the aftermarket subwoofer wiring goes it depends on the type of subwoofer/s and amplifier you purchase.

Heres a list of what you'll need:

5-6m of 4-8awg (depending on amp) of power cable, including a fuseholder and fuse.
1-2m of 4-8awg earth cable
2x 8-4awg ring terminals
5-6m of 14-16awg power cable (acc wire)
Line out converter
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults.asp?FORM=KEYWORD
1-2m OFC RCA Cable (2 male - 2 male)
3-4m of OFC speaker cable for the extension of the stock subwoofer wires to the LOC
1-2m of OFC speaker cable (12-14awg) for the subwoofer/s.

One of these kits below would be ideal for your power/earth wiring and acc wiring.

8awg Kit, good for amps around 300-500wrms
BSX008 : AMP POWER WIRING KIT 450W MAX :: Amp Wiring Kits
4awg Kit, good for amps 500-1000wrms
MX004 : 4AWG AMP POWER WIRING KIT 1000W MAX :: Amp Wiring Kits

Hope this helps somewhat.

Attachments

• Amp wiring.jpg
    Amp wiring.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 30,431