Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with VT head gasket change

Commodore dave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT series 2 sedan 3.8
vt 2000 3.8 EXEC SEDAN NO sc

Noticed there are a lot of folks on the site who are very experienced at working on VS/VT/VX commodores.

Would appreciate some help with some of the more complex repair/maint jobs such as head gaskets, doing work or just hanging around and giving advice. I don't mind doing the hard yards.

Location options are Springwood-Penrith area in western Sydney.
NSW central coast Gosford/Woy Woy.
Newcastle NSW, Claremont.

Food and drink will be supplied as will travel cost to and from. Happy to throw in a few bucks as well.
I have a decent tool kit.

Please say Hi if you might be interested.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
replacing a ecotec head gasket is pretty strait forward but what is the reason you need to replace them for? unless you only took head off to do rocker and valve repairs than just replacing the gasket is easy but if its because you had a water/oil mixture or any other reason than the head should be sent off to be machined to level it but here are the steps:
1:Remove Battery and all sensors from the heads up
2:Remove air plastics and the accelerator cable bracket from the throttle body
3:Remove injectors attached to the rails (should be 4 nuts on the intake pull rail up don't worry some might stay in there holes just pull them out)
4:Remove inlet manifold (you don't need to remove the plenum though if you got a valve regrind kit then you may want to)
5: remove rocket covers and the rockers inside then remove all head bolts inside head and around spark plug holes

it is reverse to puy back and just a quick search on the forums here you will find the torque specs to put back on

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
replacing a ecotec head gasket is pretty strait forward but what is the reason you need to replace them for? unless you only took head off to do rocker and valve repairs than just replacing the gasket is easy but if its because you had a water/oil mixture or any other reason than the head should be sent off to be machined to level it but here are the steps:
1:Remove Battery and all sensors from the heads up
2:Remove air plastics and the accelerator cable bracket from the throttle body
3:Remove injectors attached to the rails (should be 4 nuts on the intake pull rail up don't worry some might stay in there holes just pull them out)
4:Remove inlet manifold (you don't need to remove the plenum though if you got a valve regrind kit then you may want to)
5: remove rocket covers and the rockers inside then remove all head bolts inside head and around spark plug holes

it is reverse to puy back and just a quick search on the forums here you will find the torque specs to put back on
Thanks for taking the time to reply. But....I need some help with the work from someone who has done the work on VT/VX's a few times before

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
you wont need someone else easy to do 1 person even with no idea what there doing follow the steps and get torque specs and you can have it off and back on in half a day going slow i started on the ecotecs turned a standard one into a s/c one then added 15psi boost to blow it up on my own im no mechanic :) but i now work on my l98 V8 realy easy if you know what parts are what just take pics of sensors/wires and steps of what came off

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pretty sure I am going to replace the heads on my V6 myself. I whipped a pair off a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it will be too hard to do the reverse plus a couple of extra steps, like sealing bolts.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
make sure there level/flat my mums partner decided he would just change his head gasket as it was leaking did that only to find head was not perfictly level/flat and it continued to leak then sized his motor

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
here is the torque specs for the intake and plenum harder to find these ones thant just head and inlets specs

Attachments

• Holden-VT-VX-VY-VU-Commodore LIM & Supercharger Rebuild.pdf
    923.3 KB · Views: 168

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you replace the head bolts Brysha? I assume they are TTY?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
yes they are tty mace do a greate valve regrind kit with head bolts for 250 for the s/c version idk what ecotec standards be worth but would imagin there cheaper

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
i use mace for all my gaskets and bolts for the old ecotecs and the new gen4's and all the 3.6 and 3ltr engines