Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

kiwimike1972

Mike Hall
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN executive S1
4EC9D600-9E4A-40FA-B33F-01CBB1F8BD02.png Just a quick question and I apologise if this is in the wrong area...

I have a 97 Toyota Hiace with a Series 1 3.8 V6 with a 4 sod auto behind it. Runs into an AU diff (shhhh...it’s a F***)

I keep blowing up the trans and not because of burnouts or towing heavy loads. They seem to deteriorate over 6-12 months.

What trans is better or stronger that will bolt into the series 1 engine?

H

harrop.senator

God that Coopers horn.

Is the fluid cooking n dying on them are they slipping? Unless extremely bad run of luck id say your cooling systems inadequate.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Number 1 killer badly adjusted tv cable from the throttle body and in lighter vehicles or ones with very high diff gears in the 4.xxs or a mix of both most people end up slackining the cable to make them shift softer etc and it just wipes the boxes out

kiwimike1972

Mike Hall
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN executive S1
God that Coopers horn.

Is the fluid cooking n dying on them are they slipping? Unless extremely bad run of luck id say your cooling systems inadequate.

You could be right about the temperature as I noticed the oil cooler was a bit beaten up and was leaking. I’ll replace that with the new transmission.
Do you know if other models fit into the series 1 with no modifications?

kiwimike1972

Mike Hall
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN executive S1
Number 1 killer badly adjusted tv cable from the throttle body and in lighter vehicles or ones with very high diff gears in the 4.xxs or a mix of both most people end up slackining the cable to make them shift softer etc and it just wipes the boxes out

The diff ratio is 3:08 so it’s not revving as such. I’ll check the cable next time I’m in the engine bay :)
Any hints on whether I can put a different trans into the series 1 without mods?

H

harrop.senator

Apart from being electronically controlled they ran same box til 04 man so no real upgrade.

H

harrop.senator

Apart from going backwards to say a turbo 350 but without skids it shouldn't be dying so quick I have 350rwhp behind one atm and has lived atleast five years since cam install lol.

kiwimike1972

Mike Hall
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN executive S1
Apart from going backwards to say a turbo 350 but without skids it shouldn't be dying so quick I have 350rwhp behind one atm and has lived atleast five years since cam install lol.

5 years?!?! This is my 4th trans in 5 years. No skids and no towing. Maybe I should stop being a cheap b**tard and stop buying them from the wreckers

H

harrop.senator

You'll have to rig up a control box for it as they're electronic kick down and run a pwm .