Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help!

Reevesy08

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
hey

i just installed my new sound system with a few friends

when i have my car engine off, the door speakers can go as loud as you want and have no interference.

however, when the engine is on, both the front speaker has loads of interference when its turned up to a medium volume. wen i put my foot down the sound get more high pitched the quicker my car goes

any help would be appreciated

cheers

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I assume your new stereo includes at least one amp somewhere? Make sure the RCAs for the amp aren't close to any large power wires (usually it's the power wire for the amp)

Reevesy08

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
ah k maybe thats wer i went wrong i think i ran one rca cable next to the amp power cable so if i move that it should stop?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Yeah, you should always run the RCA's down the opposite side of the car to the power cable/s to avoid interference

Reevesy08

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
ok iv done that now there is a slight interferance wen the music is low

any other ways i can stop it 100%

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I had some slight interference where my rca splitter sat near the power cable up near my amp, but failing that someone else might be able to give you some ideas.

How well is it earthed? And where?

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Try earthing your amp at a few different places (perhaps beef up the headunit earth too, go from the chassis of the headunit to the body somewhere), see if results vary. Always make sure you prep the earth mount properly, sand back a bit of paint, secure your terminal, then paint over lightly with whatever you prefer to inhibit rust.

Meanwhile at the opposite end of the car, have you upgraded your battery to chassis earth cable? This really likes to be as thick as the power cable you have running to the amp. For example I have twin 4ga going to the back of my car, so I've earthed the battery to the chassis with the same.

Reevesy08

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore
ah k might giv that a shot my rca cables have earth wires coming out the ends of it should i earth them?

also might need to upgrade my earth cable for my battery aswell

yeah i did sand back all the paint where i earthed my amp cable might try earthing it some place else

and does anyone know how to fix my antenna problem

with my stock head unit it onle came up when i was lisitng to the radio now it stays up when ever i turn my car on?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
ah k might giv that a shot my rca cables have earth wires coming out the ends of it should i earth them?

also might need to upgrade my earth cable for my battery aswell

yeah i did sand back all the paint where i earthed my amp cable might try earthing it some place else

and does anyone know how to fix my antenna problem

with my stock head unit it onle came up when i was lisitng to the radio now it stays up when ever i turn my car on?

Not sure on the RCA's with the earth wire, never really seen them before. Did you get them off ebay? I can't imagine ebay rcas would have great shielding.

As for the antenna, I have a vague memory of a way to make it work with the CD player, but I dont think it's straightforward, and depends on the head unit. I probably read it on here somewhere if you feel like a big night of searching.
I hardly ever use my radio, so I leave it down, then just put it up when I want to listen to the radio. If you manually (using the buttons under the CD player) put the arial down while the car is on, it will remember this position and return to that next time you turn it on