Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Helping with speaker molding

bad_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V6 3.8
Ok, I'll start from the start I own a 91' holden calis VN v6, I have a 15 inch sony xplode sub 1000w(in the boot), and a xplode 350 watt amp(I know...in the boot) I have ONE set of 6x9 and ONE set of 6x6 now I have bought little box's for the 6x9s but i dont know where to fit them...cant in the door as there is minimal room for the back of the speakers to fit because of the steal and window inside of the front doors dont really want four speakers lined up in the back either...where do I put them? 6x6s i will just mount in the back spaces where the old ones are. but the 6x9s are stressing me out i got no sounds!! someone help. cheers

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Let me get this straight, youve bought boxes for the 6x9s and want to know where to mount them?

As the VNs only had 4" speakers mounted in the dash you havent got many options up front, besides buying a pair of 4" speakers to replace them and buying a pair of VR-VS front speaker pods and mounting them in the doors.

Anyway i wouldnt worry about the 6" speakers at the moment, you can "mount" the 6x9s in their boxes on the parcel shelf if you like, by placing them on either side of the parcel shelf and putting a screw or two through the metal from the underside (boot) of the parcel shelf. This will hold them into place in the event of sudden braking when you dont want flying speaker boxes hitting you in the head (trust me, ive seen the effects of this).

Or look at the other thread explaing how to mount them using a pair of spacers.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
haha yeah Holden boys right, i had 6x9's in boxes in the back of a VW, hit the brakes and one of them ripped the wire out and the whole box came through and bounced of the centre console leaving some nice marks in in too!!!!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Imagine if it hit you in the head, ive seen it happen and my mate got knocked out instantly....i kept telling him to let me atleast screw them down :bang:

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
6x9s would be hard to fit in the front. Secure those 6x9 boxes to the rear, and stick them in there. Put the 6"s in the front doors - grab some VR/VS speakerpods, or fibreglass some yourself.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Imagine if it hit you in the head, ive seen it happen and my mate got knocked out instantly....i kept telling him to let me atleast screw them down :bang:

Ouch, that sounds painful and extremely dangerous. Imagine if you get knocked out and your foot slips from the brake to the accelerator.

bad_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V6 3.8
6x9s would be hard to fit in the front. Secure those 6x9 boxes to the rear, and stick them in there. Put the 6"s in the front doors - grab some VR/VS speakerpods, or fibreglass some yourself.

Yeah i might just have to do it....but the thing is where are the 6's gonna go? they wont fit right in the door or the stock speakers in the dash...

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
You can put them in the doors if you like, you have two basic options if you will be doing it yourself, the most common one though, is to get a set of door pods (like the map pockets as such that you already have at the bottom of your front door trim) from a VR/VS commodore. These pods housed a 6 inch speaker from factory, and are a direct line up with your existing trim, If you were wanting to keep your factory trim, depending on the mounting depth of the speaker, you can use a spacer, and have it mounted to your door trim as such.. If you visit AERPRO : Car Audio Accessories, GPS & Wireless Bluetooth Connect you'll find a whole bunch of spacers which may suit your need. Also it can help sometimes in your thread if you also list the components that your using, that way we may then be able to help you out even further..

Last edited:

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Yeah i might just have to do it....but the thing is where are the 6's gonna go? they wont fit right in the door or the stock speakers in the dash...
No. What you are going to have to do is either:
a) buy some VR or VS doorpods, cut your door trim and install the speakers in your door; or
b) buy/make some doorpods out of fibreglass to suit your speakers.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Personally i don't think making custom fiberglass pod's is really an option for him. Not having a go or anything, but i think he knows as much about car audio installing as i know about sewing!!