Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Here in lies the problem - Ignition barrel VS commodore - KNACKERED.

MB85WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Ok so my ignition barrel is rooted. It's not the first time. Up until now I have jiggled it, hit it up, down, left, right - with the key in/out. Stuck a bit of wire in there to try and get the lugs to drop down. Did the crc trick - Which apparently makes it worse. Steering lock is in affect, however this is not the reason for the key not turning.

I had the car towed to my driveway, as I have looked at all the threads here and thought that I'll have a crack at it myself. Trying desperately to save dollars. $$$$
Now that I've already payed for 1 tow. I'd like to avoid paying for a second to take it to a mechanic and spend more $$$ getting them to do it.

In order to remove the barrel, it is my understanding that I have to get the key to turn to the 'ON' position. I can't do this, as it won't turn at all.
Even if I could turn it, I need to be able remove the sheer bolt. I'm hoping to use the hammer/chisel/G clamp method to do this as I don't want to shell out for a new barrel housing ($100) after I angle grind the b@stard off.
I've also heard of people drilling out the sheer bolt and just replacing it. However I'm reasonably sure that in order to do that, I'm gonna have to drop the steering, as it’s not accessible otherwise. I’m not a mechanic, but I am technically inclined.

So the questions are:
Do I force the barrel by removing the metal part of my key, popping it into the barrel and forcing it with a set of multi grips? Effectively breaking the barrel to get it into the 'ON' position.
Is that going to break my key? If possible I'd like to get the new barrel coded to my old key to save me having 2 keys for the car. (ignition and door)
Is there a way of removing the steering lock and getting the car to go? Thieves techniques? So that if I do decide to go to a mechanic, I can drive and not have to fork out for a tow.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been through this situation and can give me any advice or may have thought of something I haven't. Thanks for reading

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
try this thread >> https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-remove-ignition-barrel-vs.65574
Ok so my ignition barrel is rooted. It's not the first time. Up until now I have jiggled it, hit it up, down, left, right - with the key in/out. Stuck a bit of wire in there to try and get the lugs to drop down. Did the crc trick - Which apparently makes it worse. Steering lock is in affect, however this is not the reason for the key not turning.

I had the car towed to my driveway, as I have looked at all the threads here and thought that I'll have a crack at it myself. Trying desperately to save dollars. $$$$
Now that I've already payed for 1 tow. I'd like to avoid paying for a second to take it to a mechanic and spend more $$$ getting them to do it.

In order to remove the barrel, it is my understanding that I have to get the key to turn to the 'ON' position. I can't do this, as it won't turn at all.
Even if I could turn it, I need to be able remove the sheer bolt. I'm hoping to use the hammer/chisel/G clamp method to do this as I don't want to shell out for a new barrel housing ($100) after I angle grind the b@stard off.
I've also heard of people drilling out the sheer bolt and just replacing it. However I'm reasonably sure that in order to do that, I'm gonna have to drop the steering, as it’s not accessible otherwise. I’m not a mechanic, but I am technically inclined.

So the questions are:
Do I force the barrel by removing the metal part of my key, popping it into the barrel and forcing it with a set of multi grips? Effectively breaking the barrel to get it into the 'ON' position.
Is that going to break my key? If possible I'd like to get the new barrel coded to my old key to save me having 2 keys for the car. (ignition and door)
Is there a way of removing the steering lock and getting the car to go? Thieves techniques? So that if I do decide to go to a mechanic, I can drive and not have to fork out for a tow.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been through this situation and can give me any advice or may have thought of something I haven't. Thanks for reading

MB85WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Thanks for the referral

I did have a look at this thread prior to posting.

There are a few terms in the thread that aren't really familiar to me. The only knowledge I have of an 'ignition barrel' is from what I can see in my own car and a diagram I picked up from holden.

I guess my main problem at the moment is getting the knackered barrel out, without being able to turn it to the 'ON' position.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
try this thread ? >>>https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-remove-stuck-ignition-barrel-vn-vs.69555
Thanks for the referral

I did have a look at this thread prior to posting.

There are a few terms in the thread that aren't really familiar to me. The only knowledge I have of an 'ignition barrel' is from what I can see in my own car and a diagram I picked up from holden.

I guess my main problem at the moment is getting the knackered barrel out, without being able to turn it to the 'ON' position.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride

The key has to be in the on position for the barrel to come out. If it won't come out, then you have to take the whole clamp assembly off and that involves drilling or grinding the head off the bolt. You can still use the same key, but you will need to get the pins out of the old barrel and put the correct numbered ones in the right order into the new one.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Remove the shear bolt with a sharp centre punch and take the assembly to a locksmith if you have no joy with it.

They are a poor design ba$tard of a thing.

MB85WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Read that thread also.
I guess that's where I've got the majority of my information from.

What are the chances of being able to force the barrel to the on position? Will I be able to get it out? The barrel feels relatively intact. Just jammed. I just thought that if I could get the right tool then I may be able to wrench it to 'ON'

If I do choose to remove the assembly, will the barrel just fall out?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-remove-stuck-ignition-barrel-vn-vs.69555

So the questions are: