Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heron's VK SL Project

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Managed to spend a few hours on it last Saturday. I started off with the idea of pulling more stuff out of the engine bay, then thought I'd pull the wiring out of the bay and back through into the cabin, then thought I'd prbably have to pull out the lower part of the dash to get to it, then i couldnt get the glovebox open, so theeeeeeen i thought fk it and started pulling the dash appart. Just after i started i realised i didnt really have a place to put the stuff i was pulling out, so i stopped and put together a sheet metal shelf set i have had for about 8 years. still looked brand new when i pull it out of the box. so anyways, i got all of the dash out except for the crash pad. the vacuum guage was mounted in some kinda bog/chicken wire frame thing, my dog now thinks bog is delicious as he ate most of it. He also thought a great spot to sit was in the passenger footwell, the same place i was storing stuff as i pulled parts off.

Pics, before and after:

Jeff thinks he's people:

Dunno what the module thing is thats on the trans tunnel, it has chinese writing on it:

Larry, not realising how big he is:

Still no progress on my slider things. I am on the hunt for a MIG welder, feel free to add your suggestions and tips, my welding experience consists of standing near someone who was welding and i was looking away, so be gentle and use small words.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
night time welding courses.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
. the vacuum guage was mounted in some kinda bog/chicken wire frame thing,

LOOOOL

Dunno what the module thing is thats on the trans tunnel, it has chinese writing on it.

thats the central locking module. with deleted locks, youll need to to work, otherwise get used to breaking into your car.

how come the glovebox wouldnt open?? it used to work fine. did you try the key in it?

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
night time welding courses.

This. This is definitely something I'll look into.

LOOOOL

thats the central locking module. with deleted locks, youll need to to work, otherwise get used to breaking into your car.

how come the glovebox wouldnt open?? it used to work fine. did you try the key in it?

One of the two toggle things wasnt retracting. Popped it open with a screwdriver without damaging it.

I've been contemplating putting the door locks back in. it'd be my luck i'd be out somewhere and the battery would go dead and i wouldnt be able to get in. Did the central locking module work in conjunction with the alarm? cause the harness for the alarm had already been cut apart when i got it, and i pulled out the rest from the bay.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah, the central locking module requires a signal from the alarm to lock and unlock.

the problem with flat battery was resolved but stashing a wire somewhere in the car... i honesty cant remember where, think it was in the front bar, when you go to jump you connected your jumper leads to earth and the wire and it'd pop the locks, then open the car>open the bonnet.

im sorry to say, but you got no chance of putting the locks back in those doors. better off looking for new doors.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
New doors might be an option. I might also look into this:

car-door-padlock-latch.jpg

but seriously, i might see if i can swap the doors or sell them and get new ones. Would i be best off trying to find a wreck or something i can pull the ignition barrell out of as well? or just see if my key works. i think Holden only made about three different keys for VK's, the key for my old VK used to start three other VK's i knew of lol.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
I'd stick with the doors you have now.
A decent alarm and central locking system (nothing off ebay) would be fine. Installing it would be fairly easy too.
Heaps of guides on how to install aftermarket actuators into those types of doors.
An Anderson type plug hooked to the battery and hidden behind the front bumper or wheel arch would allow you to modify a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up, without having to open the bonnet and connecting a charger all the time.
Have done similar setups for mates who never really drive their cars, and never bother turning it over to keep the battery condition healthy.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Would i be best off trying to find a wreck or something i can pull the ignition barrell out of as well?
ignition, boot and 2 door locks all paired to 1 key.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Igni...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461d9ff9be

install takes around 30 mins per door they can be tricky, boot is 2 seconds, reach in, pop a clip, pull out, replace, replace clip, shut boot.
ignition is pretty easy too. stick the barrel on ACC, insert a picking tool and pull the lock out, then jsut stick the new one in.

i replaced all the locks, but because VK's are a VERY common target for theft, they all got destroyed. hence why i removed thieves ability to enter my car with a pair of scissors.

Heaps of guides on how to install aftermarket actuators into those types of doors.

doesnt need to. all actuators are installed and work perfectly. all he needs is an alarm that sends a signal to the central locking module.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's all to easy then!

lol... You're a funny guy. Easy huh....

My mate runs a detailing and car alarm business so I'll get him to have a look, he already knows he'll be working on it anyway lol. I'll figure out later on what ill do with the doors, I have to get a boot lock anyway, so i might just get the set off ebay at some point and keep an eye out for some half decent doors.