Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heron's VK SL Project

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
The fun has begun.... Picked this up on Sunday from Gundagai, the owner was nice enough to drive it up from Albury to save some travel for me. Still was an 11 hour round trip. Specs and plans are below:

Year: 1984
Make: Holden
Model: VK Commodore SL
Engine: None
Trans: None
Diff: Salisbury 3.08
Brakes: Stock. Not working at the moment. Currently using bricks and prayers to baby Jesus
Interior: Some tan, some white, some black, some stupid VR or VS door pods
Body: Pretty straight from what I can see, haven't had a chance to have a thorough look yet. Been painted white recently, whoever did also gave it the old Calais silver bottom half but didn't put the door moulds on. Also has a Group A front bar extension but it hasn't been installed properly and is pretty much falling off. Haven't found any rust apart from a bit in the bottom corner of the front passenger door. The boot floor has also been cut out and replaced. Engine bay has been painted flat black.

The dude threw in a tail shaft and brand new master cylinder. It also has some Pioneer 4 ways in the parcel tray, but no head unit.

There's probably more info, but I can't think of it now so I'll add it later. Overall, not a bad pick up for five greenbacks.

Here's a few pics, I have a heap more that I'll put up tomorrow:

91b32d1e01819e9460e32541a37dfe33_zps228e7cdd.jpg

15dd7f1b542a20f6f690531c1f04cb86_zpsaaea0271.jpg

Plans are to build a Blue Meanie replica, so full respray in formula blue, smooth engine bay, standard interior, L98 or LS3, auto, single turbo. I have no time period, things will get done as funds allow, so it's gonna be a slow build. First step is to get a note book and start writing lists of what needs doing in each area (body, interior, electrical, driveline, engineering).

I'll no doubt have a million questions, a lot will be stupid, so please provide suggestions to help me get to my goal.

Cheers,
Brett

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Also has a Group A front bar extension but it hasn't been installed properly and is pretty much falling off.

that was dirbatua's old bar. i painted it for his VK project that got chopped up. he sold that bar to the guy that bought this car and they fitted it (i.e. i wash my hands of the fitment issue). the silver is not asteroid, its a heavy flake silver i got made up. its basically the coarsest flake i could get over some nissan metallic. the bar was painted at a different time to the car so the colour may not match up perfect, but its the same colour. the car just had a stock VK bar on it when i sprayed it. which IMO looked good.

100_4259.jpg

the white is "high opacity white" and will be difficult to match. its white but highly transparent so you match it by getting the right amount of layers.

that car was dead straight when i finished up. the only gripe i had was the top of the drivers door, i just couldnt get to line up. it was damaged when someone broke in to it (hence why there are no door locks) and i could never get it to sit properley.

there used to be an LPG filler near the petrol flap which also got deleted.

the boot floor is a bit of an abortion, ill admit it. i was being an idiot by trying to weld a flat piece of steel on. the car used to have a tow bar and they had drilled holes in the rear beaver which leaked out and rusted everything also the bottom of the spare wheel bay had a repair.

biggest repair is the back window. a leaky seal meant the parcel shelf was ROOTED:

100_3380.jpg

after looking at small patches for a while i decided it was better to just replace the whole thing:

100_3376.jpg

100_3386.jpg

100_3393.jpg

have fun reading through my old thread. or not. youll cringe when you see what i did to the bonnet :p

man, this car was a WEAPON when i finally got it all done. straight as die. got dyno'd at 150rwkws, but i managed to get a bunch more power out of it when i did the 3rd rebuild. but thats a moot point cos youre gonna out a decent engine in it :p

it was a factory 308/trimatic btw.

enjoy.

edit* you mention it had some rust on the bottom of the passenger door?? it shouldnt have, i took those corners back to metal and there wasnt any probs with the passenger side (that i can remember)

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Not sure if it's a blessing or curse with one of Ari's old cars....

But nice pickup Heron.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
What are the f**kin chances of this! at least i can see some of the history of the car now, lol. Yeah theres a bit of rust in the passenger door:

i have a heap more photo's, i'll put em on Photobucket today and put em up

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Stockies. Not sure if i wanna read through Ari's thread now, lol