Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heron's VK SL Project

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hopefully it's entertaining in a good way. I've got what I hope to be the right parts, the conversion gear from CAE is all meant to work in conjunction with each other, the headers are usually a pain when using 4-1's but I have tri-y's so that should help a lot. Still need a heap of bits and pieces, plus the wiring, but I want to get the stuff I have on the car so I can plan the rest of the build.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Morning shots in the light. Turned out better than I thought for a garage job. decided I'm going to do the rest of the car in white, basically do a white Group A replica. Just need a wing.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Priced up the paint today, $236 for 4 litres of white and $54 per litre of hardener. A couple of questions for the knowledgeable folk on here:

• Paint shop said I wont need clear if I use a solid colour, only need clear if I use a base then clear over the top. True? Pros/cons for each type? Will one give a better finish than the other?
  • Spray with doors on or off? Same for the guards as they’re off at the moment (guards, not doors)
  • After painting, how long do I wait to sand/wash/buff/detail etc.
  • Rear wing: paint first then mount or mount and paint over it
Hope @hi_ryder chimes in....

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Been a while in between updates. To date I've done the following:

• Full respray in white, except the bonnet and bumpers
  • LS3 from a 2016 VF S2 SSVR
  • Built TH400 from Paul Rogers and 4k Dominator stall
  • Built Borg Warner diff is in, 3.9s, Harrop true track, 31 spline billet axles
  • B&M Stealth ratchet shifter and drop box
  • New Monroe shocks and King springs, new rear standard lower arms, new rear McDonalds Bros adjustable upper arms
  • SuperPro bushes all the way through
  • Full rewire from front to back, all new wiring, fuse rails and relays, all hidden
  • 20 inch Star rims
  • VT front brake conversion, new DBA rotors, Bendix pads
  • Cerulean dash, cerulean seats from a VL Berlina and matching door cards (not in yet)
Still have plenty to do, the big stuff (expensive stuff) is done, now its pushing through getting all the little things done.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VK is finished mechanically, just got it back from the tuners. Made 240rwkw. Driveline is all complete, now it's onto the bodywork, then the interior. Not going with the Group A style, keeping it factory SL. Have painted the front and rear bumpers in MX Grey as I like the contrast with the darker grey on the white bodywork. Keeping the 20 inch Star's caue they look mint. Picked up a cheap bonnet but found a heap of bog on it when I stripped it back so that wont look the best, going to clean it up as much as I can for the time being but will get a new bonnet next year.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK is rego'd and on the road. It's getting hot when cruising so planning on swapping out the radiator. Going to try a cheap alloy one to begin with and see how it goes. Other than that it's awesome to drive, goes like the clappers. Converter flares to 3800 so there's bulk wheel spin when I plant it at low speeds. Also had a monster tacho installed for maximum respect and shift light awesomeness.