Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hesitation / thump /miss when accelerating from 80km/h

tepaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hello all,

Last night we took a 4 hour trip in our 2005 VZ (105,000 km) when accelerating from 80km/h back up to 100km/h, we noticed a miss and an almost a thumping when the accelerator was pushed down. When it did get back up to the 100km/h speed it seemed fine. Any ideas what we should be looking for? - i'm suspecting crook leads but just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Many thanks in advance.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
it is quite possibly the cranckshaft balance wheel. check the rubber around the center of the pulley

-**wHiStLe**-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais 3.8L
Harmonic balancer shouldn't have worn after 5 years..
Or are they really problematic with VZ's?
Plus if it's so gone as to cause problems you would probably hear it (like a ****ed bearing).
From my experience anyway :)

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
I had a similar issue with my VZ that started around the 100,000k mark... It turned out to be the ignition coils which were not firing the spark plugs properly and causing a miss.

This only happened when using medium to heavy acceleration or trying to build up speed (say from 80-100) in 5th gear.

Hope this helps.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ive never heard off balancer problems on alloytecs, the crank signal does not run off the alloytec balancer either,

id be leaning towards coils, seems to be a common thing around the 100+ km's at this age, mine seems to be hesitating and getting worse in that way so ill have to do some testing sometime soon

dave1979m

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ acclaim wagon 04 3.6L
I ham having similar probs with my 2004 model VZ. Auto Electrician is telling me its the ECU. Can you replace them with a used one from a wreckers or do you need to have them programmed for the car??

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
VZ's seem to have alot of electrical issues. dave1979m, perhaps it is the ECU, maybe it's just something shorting for a second here or there....

Try a spark plug change ....... doesn't take long. If that doesn't work, have ur coils checked by an auto electrican. Both are alot cheaper then an ECU.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
I agree, could be a cheaper solution to your problem.

-Matt