Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hey all just thought id introduce my 1984 202 Vk!!

Aarnarose

Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
1984 Black 202 VK
Here's the best description I can do,

1984 Black 202 vk,

White
Straight 6
Duel Fuel
VQ stato front seats
Standard Vk Rears,
V8 single pegger diff,
Auto

Ive had it for about a year, after about 6 months when I had to do the RWC I was quite surprised as to what it needed, I was expecting to come back with about 3 pages of things, but to my surprised it only needed a

Diff pinon seal
Axle Bearings
Tappet cover gasket
Exhaust hanger
4 tyres
handbrake adjustment
L/H Headlight to be siliconed as it had a water leak,

Its on its 3rd diff and 2nd tail shaft

All in all it wasnt to bad, with my partner not being around I did it all myself with a little help, and boy did I have fun doing it, everything was easy until I got to the Axle bearings, I had some Idea of what i was doing, When I took the axle out it has no bearings left and there was oil everywhere and I couldn't get the bearing case out the axle housing, I tried everything I could so my car sat on jack stands for a few days till I could get some help and an Oxy Welder, heated it up and it came straight out with a pull of the hammer =)
I had so much trouble with Repco, and giving me the wrong parts, when I eventually got the right bearings went and got them pressed on, came home and BAM the axle went in,

Then when I had to do the Diff pinon I took it down to my mates dad's workshop and put it on the hoist, we took out the tail shaft and yolk and went to put the seal in, yet again it was the wrong part, As my diff is a v8 with a modified yolk to suit the 6, this was on a Sunday and living in the country nothing was open, so we had to work out where to get the right part from, my mates dad has a few mates and he went and opened up his shop and we got the right part, went back to the workshop put it all together and drove it home,

once everything was completed on the roadie list I went back to the mechanics and they checked it ova, 15 mins later I drove out with the papers and straight to Vic roads,

about a week later my steering starting locking when I turned left, then sometimes to the right and became really stiff, this makes is so hard to turn as it doesn't have power steering either, and is still like this ATM,

then it wouldn't start, so i was jump starting it but the minute i took the leads off it would die, so i changed the alternater, and it kept doing it, so i changed it again, was fine for about a week then there was nothing again, so i changed the starter motor and she started, but every time i got in it the battery vaults would sit at about 10, id have to rev it for the vaults to move to about 15,

i jump in it and go to start it and it wouldn't start, i didn't know what the hell it was, i had petrol and gas in it, the duel switch didn't seem to be working, so i got a butter knife and shortened out the starter motor and she was sparking but just not kicking over, i had to bypass the gas system for it to run on petrol,, whilst doin this i had noticed my fuse relay had melted i couldn't pull any fuses out, and it smelt, so every time i wanted to drive it i had to get under the bonnet with a butter knife and start it that way, SO EMBARRASSING,

then the car kept over heating an leaked water, as fast as i put it in it just came straight out, so i took the water pump off to have a look and it had corroded on the hose mount things, so i got a second hand water pump for the time being as i cant afford a new one ATM, its leaking water but not as bad, then all of sudden one day after work, i was at the traffic light, the temp sky rocketed and water pissed out everywhere and she was steaming i get home pop the bonnet and put water in her, and its just pissing out the side of the thermo housing plate, niice 20c piece hole,

then i jumped in it and my axle starting clunking, by this time i was ready to get rid of the car, everything just seemed to be F**n up, or i was fixing it and something else would cark it,

I'm still working on getting the axle and steering rack fixed, there no cheap nor easy to find in the country!! especially and older car,

i booked it in to the auto elec to fix the wiring issue, he removed the immobalisor, changed the fuse relay, fixed the starter motor wiring, got it running on gas again and he had even changed the thermo housing plate for me for $200

Once I have replaced the Streering rack and fixed the Axle bearings again, she will be running like a dream again =)

Then today after picking up 2 sets of front springs Ssl's an Sl's i get home, get them out the boot and the middle part of my taillight has fallen out !!!

Attachments

• 103_0439.jpg
    103_0439.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 393
  • vk1.jpg
    vk1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 333
  • vk3.jpg
    vk3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 320
  • vk4.jpg
    vk4.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 326
  • VKpaddok1.jpg
    VKpaddok1.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 295776_10150344225093638_523258637_9663467_300485_n.jpg
    295776_10150344225093638_523258637_9663467_300485_n.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 320

Alf Stewart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 5spd
Nice! looks like youve learnt alot about working on cars from these problems, stick with it at least things are cheap to fix unlike newer cars.

What are your future plans for it?

ozdash

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Series 1 Wagon
I was parked beside it Wednesday. ;)
I'm sure farmers got the bits you need.ou

Last edited: