Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hey! there stop. HELP!!!! Spark plug change over problem.

Ta Moo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy s
This is the story. Went to shop and buy a spark plug of 6 (NGK BPR6EFS-15) for Holden Commodore VY V6 2003 series II.
Not because old spark plug are bad. Just want to change to a new set. Drive back home. Put the new spark plug in and in all of them. Car on "Wish me a Luck". It make a surge sound and don't know anything about it. " Maybe the perform become better". Drive around and notice the acceleration are less power then drive for 1hr and nothing change. remove the spark plug. Put back the old one in. Turn the car on. Notice the difference. The old plug perform better. Of course nothing wrong with the old one. Read the blog in internet. Says "got to be 1.5. and not just that also got to recheck it because it not always the right gap". Then grab a packer. Which got 1.5 gap. Check the the new spark plug gap. Oh they are less then 1.5. Re change it by put the flat screw driver between and bent it up to the right gap. And remove old spark plug and put the new one back in again. "Wish me a Luck this time". Bang it happen again. Try to do same as first time by driving around for 30min. Nothing change . Back home. remove spark plug. And then I just broken one off. And one also got the white thing come off a bit. So I left with a 4 good one. Put all the old plug back in. Next day after work. I brought a 2 new spark plug including the gaping tool. And came back home. Check the gap and it was 2 new spark got a bigger gap than it should be by using gaping tool And then check the other 4 by using gaping too. They were a bit too small by not much but I re fix them all. then turn it on, i still got the surge and same problem. Then decide to just used the old one.

Have I done anything wrong?
And what can I do to fix it or make it work?
Will it damage anything or engine, Drive it while it surge and loss power?
Is it because my car don't have a original exhaust system?

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Too much information.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Should have posted in the VY Forum.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
And just like magic it is....

Ta Moo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vy s
Must be Friday night
I hope you were right because I going to try again tomorrow with right gaping tool . And buy all new spark plug of 6. Because I think when I try to fix the gap byuby screw driver. It might damage it. Tomorrow will be my last set. Wish me a luck.