Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hg Efi 5.0l

Jimboss

Reaction score
Hey guys, i was wondering if you could help me out, i am looking into a EFI 5.0L (obviously from a commy) put into a HG with a T5 5 speed.

The guy who is selling says that it is registered and did not need an engineers certificate just needed to comply with the emissions standards for the commodore it came from. Here's the thing, i thought that all engine conversions needed to be certified (especially new engines into the oldschool cars).

The reason the guy gives (that no engineers cert is required) is that they came with the 350 chev.

Now could any of you guys could help me out with whether it does need to be certified, or it'll be fine without it. The main reason is i don't want to get it, then have to foot a engineers bill to get it registered.

Thanks,
Jim

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
I think it's legally ok because one of the engine options on the HG was the 308. I'm pretty sure you don't need an engineers cert if you're putting in an engine with a similar displacement/power to what was originally available on that model. You'd probably be best actually asking the mechanic you'd be getting to do the rego on it though, best way to be sure.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
yeah it must be certified if the new engine is 20% more powerful than the most powerful factory option engine. I think yo umay need to prove that it meets the emission standards though... ask an engineering signatory if you're unsure