Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HG Holden

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Ive been on this forum for a while now so i think its time to share this old girl.
This is my 1971 HG Belmont ute.
Originally a 161 and 3 speed all synchro box.

My dad bought it from a deceased estate in the 80's with only 15,000 miles on the clock. He then drove it everyday until 2002 when he retired it when we bought a new VX commodore.
I got it when i was 10 and learnt to drive around our paddock in it, then when i was 15 in 2007 i convinced my rents to spend a bit of money on it so i could drive it for my Ls, wasn't too hard because they both have a soft spot for the old girl!

Dad decided that the original 161 was a little too gutless, so he bought a reconditioned 186 with unleaded head and put a baby cam in it.
We did up the interior, its no longer original but the vinyl seat were either to cold or to hot so we went with original colored cloth.

I then drove it around through my Ls and then for a couple of months on my Ps. A few minor things started going wrong a couple of weeks after i got my Ps and i was having problems with ######## mates not respecting it when i gave them lifts, i had bought the VK as a project car and i decided that it would make a far better P plate car so i deregistered the Ute and parked it back in the shed and pretty well forgot about it for then next 4 yrs.

Im currently rebuilding the box, and ive just done the brakes because they all seized from sitting.
Got a couple of little things here and there to do but it should be as good as new when im done :)

Have no idea about this one, it was an old slide:

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Heres how its looking now,

Pulled the box apart today, the input bearing is worn out and noisy everything else looks ok.

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
double post

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So sexy.....just screaming for a 308 though :p

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So very jealous, would love a HG like this.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
So sexy.....just screaming for a 308 though :p

308 you say? 350 and no engineers cert makes the ht-g-q the best that holden ever built!

She's beautiful, and glad she was an l-p plate car, not much better you can learn in!

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Nah the AVR plates arent the originals, the LPP 933 in the random pic are but they went onto dads VB just before he sold it to make way for his personal plates. I have no idea were the AVR plates came from but i used to like to pretend it was registered when i was little so i put them on haha

The 186 is staying, i cant afford to put one in and it goes plenty well enough for a cruiser as is :)

Finished rebuilding the box today, ive never touched a manual box so this was a nice simple one to start with.

Just waiting on the new clutch to arrive and i can put it back in.