Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HG Monaro

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hi guys a mate came across a HG Monaro which was made in South Africa (Not AU)
Apparently it has all paperwork to show where and what....
What we are wondering is, would it be of value in comparison to the AU Made Muscle car?
Any info/input welcome

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
They were CKD kits exported to South Africa, where GMSA stylists put their little differences on them, and sold them as a Chevrolet Sports Coupe.
A Monaro with "SS" on the grille, Premier headlights, indicators on the front of the guard in line with the grille, and Camaro hubcaps..
Australian Muscle car #117, (issued a few months ago, and has a fictional HDT Monaro #40E on the cover), will give you the info.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
As above, aussie built and then exported. They had a different (twin headlight) front as well as a couple of different other features.

Value depends on a bunch of things assuming its here in Aus otherwise it a different ballgame again. But depending on engine/driveline combo as well as trim and originality, generally 1/2-2/3 of what the equivalent aussie delivered one is if you're comparing a similar spec and condition.
Is it currently registered? As if you're looking to buy just make sure you have all the paperwork and import documents if it hasn't been registered in Aus before.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It would be valued less than Aussie equivalent but way too hard tyo put an actual price on any Monaro post-covid...years ago when people were importing them over & sold half the price then owners converted them to aussie spec.Gt falcons were even better value to import over.

You'll quickly spot S.African Monaro or GT by the funky cosmetic changes.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Stop calling it a Monaro, it's not. Just because it's a 2 door doesn't make it a Monaro. It's a Chev SS. Based on the HG Monaro, but still not a Monaro. Just like the ute is not a HG ute, it's an El Camino in SA.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Thanks for the replies guys, i just came across someone whom is in the know and filled me in, i had it all ass about lol.

@Not_An_Abba_Fan i know what your saying but if i started with Chevrolet SS from SA most wouldn't know what i ment.

My mate didn't end up getting it, for what ever reason but was interesting process to learn about it, well for me anyway.