Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hi all has anyone converted a manual holden combo to auto?

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
hi all i am looking at buying a holden combo but it must be automatic has anyone converted one to automatic is it just as simple as buying a holden barina the same year as the combo and simply swapping everything over? any help would be great.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
hi all i am looking at buying a holden combo but it must be automatic has anyone converted one to automatic is it just as simple as buying a holden barina the same year as the combo and simply swapping everything over? any help would be great.

When looking in the engine bay of mine it is a standard XC model setup, so assuming you can get an XC auto donor car it should be fine, I don't know why you would want to though.....they have little power as it is and an auto will restrict it more.......I already sit at 4000RPM when I have my work gear in the back on a 110km/h freeway

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
wait a minute.... there is more than rubber bands under the hood of those things?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
no, thats my Ford Ka.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Agree with the comments regarding this swap. The 1.4 is a bit weak in the sedan in auto form and tends to need a fair old rev to get it moving. ( I owned one for a couple of years). A loaded Combo auto will be outrun by little old ladies on skate boards, even going uphill.

Not really related, but Someguy's avatar says it all about the Barina at least as far as the Top Gear team goes. Jeremy and Co hate them.

NormK

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Calais
Was probably one of the reasons for Holdens demise bringing that rubbish into the country. They also brought those rubbish Opel motors and boxes and put them in Toranas and called them LH fours and Sunbirds because they could not off load the junk anywhere else in the world