Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hi guys in need of some help with a vs ute

matty84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 ute
Hi guys i have a series 3 ute v6 the other week had been hot here in brisbane towing a trailer temo gauge on half fan on.i got back home to get something and came back out coolant over flow dumped on road so i put in in yard left it to cool down check next morning radiator was full coolant green as green no coolant in oil and no oil in radiator so good sign i did hear a hissing sound like a vaccum valve release a mass of air and a slight whistle sound on driverside .ive done a comp test all cylinders have good comp when pulled plugs out was black as black runs like a dog now idels good on start up soon as comes up to op temp it revs up and down in idle from 1k to 0k from 0 back up to 1k until stalls also blowing black smoke out exhaust plugs are carbon fouled it blew throttle vac hose off too no engine codes came up bar high volt for temp sensor witch has been replaced ute is usually fairly well maintained serviced reg new dfi and coils leads inlet mani has been done just after some advice if can help as what it could be i thought may have been vaccum solenoid on bak of engine i havent tested it and nor do i know how as i have never had anything happen like this before

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
If your pcv fails, that can foul the topend bad.

Lift the plenum cover and check where the oil is coming from to foul the plugs.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi guys i have a series 3 ute v6 the other week had been hot here in brisbane towing a trailer temo gauge on half fan on.i got back home to get something and came back out coolant over flow dumped on road so i put in in yard left it to cool down check next morning radiator was full coolant green as green no coolant in oil and no oil in radiator so good sign i did hear a hissing sound like a vaccum valve release a mass of air and a slight whistle sound on driverside .ive done a comp test all cylinders have good comp when pulled plugs out was black as black runs like a dog now idels good on start up soon as comes up to op temp it revs up and down in idle from 1k to 0k from 0 back up to 1k until stalls also blowing black smoke out exhaust plugs are carbon fouled it blew throttle vac hose off too no engine codes came up bar high volt for temp sensor witch has been replaced ute is usually fairly well maintained serviced reg new dfi and coils leads inlet mani has been done just after some advice if can help as what it could be i thought may have been vaccum solenoid on bak of engine i havent tested it and nor do i know how as i have never had anything happen like this before
I'd start with checking or replacing the thermostat. Put it in pot of boiling water make certain it opens fully even check with a digital thermometer in the pot as to what temp it starts to open and temp when fully open. You possibly will be able to boil to 112 deg cel on a gas stove. Check the deg cel on the side of the thermostat that is the opening temp. Maybe the engine heat sinked when you switched off as the thermo fans did not kick in to cool causing a pressure release. I herd they do have the ability to activate at key off. Something to check out when they activate. The other issues ?????.

matty84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 ute
Pcv valve is new is fouling all plugs when i first pulled them out was grey after starting ute 6 times to bleed coolant after pump change they went black carbonised plenium covers been off not alot of build up there as i cleaned it all out when done inlet gaskets. blows black smoke from.exhaust when ideling like vaccum picks up only mods has is k&N filter and exhaust

matty84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 ute
I'd start with checking or replacing the thermostat. Put it in pot of boiling water make certain it opens fully even check with a digital thermometer in the pot as to what temp it starts to open and temp when fully open. You possibly will be able to boil to 112 deg cel on a gas stove. Check the deg cel on the side of the thermostat that is the opening temp. Maybe the engine heat sinked when you switched off as the thermo fans did not kick in to cool causing a pressure release. I herd they do have the ability to activate at key off. Something to check out when they activate. The other issues ?????.
Replaced thermostat when did pump it opens in hot water

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
After im pretty good with cars this ones bit beyound me
So it is possible that it was running hot and the engine management richend the fuel table to compensate. Meaning add fuel to combustion to cool cylinder temp. Maybee reset the fuel trim but lm no mechanic bloke.

matty84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 ute
So it is possible that it was running hot and the engine management richend the fuel table to compensate. Meaning add fuel to combustion to cool cylinder temp. Maybee reset the fuel trim but lm no mechanic bloke.
No it wasnt doing it when was hot only the next day it started doing it it sounds like has a massive cam to be honest

matty84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 ute
If throttle is held to say 2000rpm itll rev out of it let the throttle off and itll play up