Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hi, I need some help swapping over my cars computer.....

Peter111222

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Rodeo 2002 petrol 4cyl 2.2L
Hi,

I need some help and advice swapping over my cars PCM.

But first let me say that it is not a commodore, but rather a holden rodeo. I know that this is a commodore forum but I think that there might be someone here who may have worked on this car or PCM in the past.

It is a petrol 4cyl. 2.2L the engine model is C22NE year is 2002.

I bought a PCM from the wreckers and the guy said he knows it works because he took it out of a running car.

I take it home remove my old computer plug this one in and the car will not start.
All I get is cranking and the engine light flashes.

The only thing I can think of is that the PCM has the VIN number coded into it to suit each individual car. The numbers on the unit match my numbers from the old unit.

Another guy I spoke to said he just swapped his over and it just worked straight away.

Other info: Why am I changing the PCM, because the car has always had a rough idle since we bought it many years ago. When I put an inline spark test light on spark plug wire no.3 and when the engine stumbles, the spark tester does not light up. This clearly shows that it is not a fuel problem and has to be an ignition problem.
As soon as I saw this I bought a new coil pack, it made no difference. Speaking with someone who had the same issue, he had changed sensors, plugs, leads etc etc and what fixed it for him was the replacement PCM.

So why am I not able to just get the replacement computer working. I disconnected the battery for 15mins. Unplugged my old one, fitted the new one. Turned the ignition on for 5mins. Then turned the ignition off. Then tried to start. This is the procedure that I used.

Any help or ideas???

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Have you gotten a result with this issue to date ?

I'm not sure if there is a key v ECU (PCM) handshake issue here, just like there is with many other vehicles since installed back in 1993~4

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Have you refitted the original ECU and found it ran again ?