Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hi i want to know if i can use my 5sp in my vk also wenn i put a 5ltr in it

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Gee my M21 still original. Sure had the odd seal replaced but not noisy or "cruntchy" yet. Thats behind a mild 5er!

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
even an m20/21 will have issues. mine is a bit tempremental and i drive my vb like an old man 90% of the time. reverse gear crunches every other go and 3rd crunches about 25% of the time. id suggest getting a falcon t5 or a supra 5 speed if you have the money

Had an Aussie 4spd in my old VH 253 with mild work (waste of time I know!!) and it did fine for close on 300,000kms, mind you I didn't exactly thrash it, but then I didn't drive it like a grandma either..... It did have a little whine in third by the time I sold it however.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
it crunches a lot going into reverse and sometimes when you put it in 3rd it seems like youre doing it without the clutch pedal in even though its flat to the floor... probably needs new fluid. gearbox has done 250,000kms without ever having a rebuild AFAIK. still, not bad for a 32 year old gearbox. would love a 5 speed but christ the conversions are expensive

jasonvzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss
how about i have a fully complete rebuilt vt v6 can i use box on this surely theres an adapter plate??

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
The gearbox you have is weak, very weak. Only good for a 4 banger

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
As before the gearbox will break, its more suited to sigmas and a few other 4cyl cars it was originally released with. Holden had it beefed up enough to handle a 202 because they were strapped for cash and couldnt afford to use a newer box.

kane_coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 2 SS 6 speed,VK Royale 308,VN V6 Ute
Your much better off to save a bit extra and do the falcon T5 conversion.Ive had issues with everything else.Used a celica box and it blew within a thousand kms of gentle driving.Couldnt get a decent trimatic anywhere.Falcon box is a fairly straight fiorward conversion and a very nice gearbox to use