Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hi.. New & Need some help.

S

shannyn

Hi..
I'm new here; come asking for someones help
I'm totally clueless when it comes to cars..

I'm having a little trouble with my VL..
The battery light comes on randomly.. then goes out after about 1 minute or so..
Last night when I was drving home the headlights were so dim I could barely see!
Is this a battery or alternator issue?
Or something else??

Sorry I have no idea!

Thanks!

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Hi..
I'm new here; come asking for someones help
I'm totally clueless when it comes to cars..

I'm having a little trouble with my VL..
The battery light comes on randomly.. then goes out after about 1 minute or so..
Last night when I was drving home the headlights were so dim I could barely see!
Is this a battery or alternator issue?
Or something else??

Sorry I have no idea!

Thanks!

Sounds like alternator to me..

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
i was having a problem with my car recently which was doing a simular thing, i would be driving and randomly would have the battery light turn on. because i have a berlina i was able to see that my volt gauge was droping then would kick back in.
i replaced my alternator with a spare one for that i had laying around and solved the problem.

i think it was most likly the bushes in side the alternator not making good enough conection causing it to not genarate power at some points,

your alternator could be producting not enough power that it is causing the car to run the headlights of the battery as well as trying to run the motor of the battery cauing the lights to dim, eventully your battery will die and wont be able to start the car.

LOL, we all replyed to this quick

S

shannyn

Thanks heaps everyone!
I'm going to get a new alternator & battery tomorrow..
Hopefully this'll fix it

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
would try just the alternator first and check the fluid in the battery, it must be covering the plates inside each little bay of the battery, if its low just top up with distiled water.
but if you have the money to spend and preffer the thought of a brand new battery then get one.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Had the same thing happen; the NRMA bloke jammed a bit tough rubber inbetween where the wires go on the alternator and that fixed the problem.

I bought a new Alternator and that fixed things for awhile. Then I found out that where the trailer wiring harness was connected into the tail light harness there was a short; all I did was strip back the wires, solder things up and retape it and the battery light never came on again and the volts were always up where they should be:)