Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hi! New User and new SV6

Scriv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Hi all.

Just thought I'd say hi to everyone after skulking around the forums for a while.

I've finally got my license and got a new Series 2 SV6 Ute. Mostly love it but wanted to ask you guys some questions:

- The clutch is quite 'rubbery'. It has a bit of a flick to it unlike some other cars I've been in. Is this usual for this car?
- I'm hardly qualified to say this, but the brakes feel a little weak for a car this size and weight. If I wanted to upgrade the brakes would a Holden Dealer do this work? If not does anybody know of a place in Melbourne that would do this? Also, if I wanted to get the stock brake calipers spray painted does anybody know of a place in Melbourne that would do this for me (I'm not at a level where I can do this myself)?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Hi and welcome, firstly!

The brakes are adequate for street use. That's not to say you can't do better though. Try a pad change before spending big bucks on brake mods - It's often enough to get a bit more bite out of your brakes. I know that GSL Rallysport are getting some good feedback from their Remsa pads for VE, which have replaced (I believe) the old HPX pads. I'd suggest sending Greg from GSL (sponsor) a PM to get a price - for what they are, they're a bargain.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
dude, spray painting the calipers is fricken easy... just take off the wheels, make sure they are clean, wrap with newspaper on the spots you don't want to paint. And go for it. You can hardly stuff it up.

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
Hey scriv and welcome to the forums :)
Like kuzman said m8 its easy to do the callipers but if ya not comfident enough then get someone else to do it..check the How-to's first though and go from there :)

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
got get engine enamel paint. brake cleaner. spray your brakes make sure clean and dry mask up what you dont want to paint. make sure your not in a windy area you dont want over spray on the car. use engine enamel paint as brakes get hot and normal paint can come off. but like the other said its easy to do.

lsimonet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
If you were looking at a quick way to upgrade the brakes and get them painted, a possible way is to find a set of SS or SSV brakes (calipers and rotors). They do occasionally come on eBay from V8 owners who have decided to upgrade their brakes. The SS brakes are larger that the SV6 brakes and therefore they are a little better. They will also bolt straight onto the SV6. Something which any mechanic should be able to do (So long as they know how to bleed brakes properly). If you went this way, you would then be able to get the SS Calipers paited before installing them on your car and without touching the setup on your SV6 and this is something any panel beater should be able to do with minimu fuss and no over spray, or alternatively you could do it yourself .....

G2 Brake Caliper Paint Systems

The pictures are of my little project V6 brakes in the first pic and V8 brakes (Gold) in the second.

Good luck

Attachments

• e_0002.jpg
    e_0002.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 421
  • e_0001.jpg
    e_0001.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 386

Scriv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Thanks for the feedback guys.

After reading what you've said and reading some how to's I have a good idea on hot to go about the spraying, I just don't have the equipment to do it all. I'd love to do it though.

TinSnips - do different pads really make that much of a difference? I'll get in contact with Greg. Thanks for the advice!