Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hi-Stall Torque Converters Help.

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
In after a 1.5-2k stall and i wanna know what my best options and prices are?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore sl
ok at the moment ive got a 202 mated to a trimatic with a 2200 hi stall converter, the converter costs me $330 to my door from wholesaleautomatics. do a search on the net and there site will come up. great guys to deal with and the converter is tops. any more than 2200rpm stall converter and u have to either go with a dominator around $500 ish, or a modified i think gemini converter with around 2800rpm stall (from memory) but as a daily driver i think 2800 is pretty high maybe to much.. depends on ur cam of choice. u certainly know the difference between a stock stall converter and the 2200 one.

-Cam

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Yeh i was lookin around for around 1500 to maybe 2000. 2500 is probably as high as i would go for a dd also.
Thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore sl
well the main reason to get a hi stall is to get into the starting power band of a camshaft, i have a 30/70 cam and its power band is between 2200 and 5200 rpm which is pretty good for a dd and matches the stall converter. if u have a stock cam i would not worry about a hi stall as u will lose the sence of torque down low and the engine will run out of puff, in other words ul be like ''**** ive got this revvy motor but not to much happening'', see with a hi stall (eg mine), it goes straight to 2000rpm or so with not to much speed hapening and sence of torque after that things get moving.. its not bad though, but in all essence a stall converter has to compliment the motor package, if that is done u will get the most power down to the wheels. im not to sure what a stock stall converter is, 1200-1400 etc, so best ask a automatic transmission joint as to what rpm it works at. saying 1500-2000 may not seem like much but it is, so choose wisely!

-Cam