Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

||| hi_ryder's VP Calais LS1

Discussion in 'Projects' started by hi_ryder, Nov 22, 2008.

1. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    "v8".......

2. stockies

stockies Bannana

Members Ride:
    G6E Turbo
    Have you got someone sorted to do some of the wiring for you?

And have you swapped the dashboard yet?

3. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
    havent swapped the dash out yet. i sent the engine loom out to a guy in castlemaine, he modded it and sent it back. theres 3 or 4 wires to splice into the dash loom. other than that its been modded to plug right into the original connections near the fuse box. he even added an obd2 diagnostic port to the engine loom (which is usually on the dash loom for the vt wh cars). think i made a post on it further back in this thread. yea just slowly chipping away at stuff.

4. stockies

stockies Bannana

Members Ride:
    G6E Turbo
    Sounds pretty easy then, give me a yell if you want a hand installing the dash loom.

5. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    oh yeah most definitely. dashes are the most fun of all the jobs needing doing, cant miss that.

ive actually got 2 more plugs that need sorting. there's the trans speed sensor and that plug that comes off the center console shift selector hanging under the trans tunnel that need a home. think it might just be a case of following the wiring directions that came with the engine loom i got modified. there a couple of wires off the engine loom that need splicing into the dash and shift select loom. theres probably going to be some wires that arnt used as well, just leave blocked off.

6. Dirbatua

Dirbatua AWOL!

Members Ride:
    VX SS Manual, VX SS Auto, VU SS Auto
    ............and den?

VS 5.0 likes this.
  7. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    pulled off all 4 calipers, reco'd the front vt calipers with a major service kit. ordered a major kit for the rears too, will finish the rears tomorrow. painted the brackets black, calipers will be going red. replaced the 2 front hard lines that run to the master cylinder with the round flare style to fit the m/c without having to use those stupid adapters. plus i couldnt get the safebrake kit in an inverted fare anyway so changing all the hard lines to round flare was just easier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    comparing single pot to twin pot vt's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bought 2 more jack stands for as a christmas present to myself. were all off the ground now.
    [​IMG]
    yeah my garage is a fuckin tip i know...
    [​IMG]
    wire wheeled all the old locktite off the rear caliper bolts.
    [​IMG]
    coated the brackets black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the transmission is rebuilt, got a guy named Lou that works out of home, does only gm boxes. use to work for place that did them for holden warranty work. been rebuilding them for over 25 years. its built to handle 300hp. he told me it was a good box to rebuild, it had failures but they were instant, not over time stuff. some clutches were burnt out as well as the reverse drum. there was also water mixed with the transmission oil. its got all new clutch packs, separation plate, reverse drum, sun shell, bearings, bushings, and shift solenoids.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    did the final fit up of the vt booster and m/c. its not coming off again. and ive decided not to make any more jobs, so not going to paint the engine bay. ill give it a good wash and hand polish. at this point i really cbf, just want to chop away at all the little things needing doing till i run out of stuff to do and were test firing. notice no stupid adapters.
    [​IMG]
    fitted up the braided lines and hard lines from a vs at the wreckers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    inverted flare compared with bubble or round flare.
    [​IMG]
    just waiting for the engine to come back so i can fit up the trans and starter kit, and sit it back in the engine bay so i can work out where where i want to run hte fuel lines and charcoal canister. so after the brakes are done im going to drop the fuel tank, driveshaft and v6 exhaust.

8. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Very impressive work, I get excited every time I see new posts in threads like these.

Good to hear about the trans too. Need to rebuild the one in my Hj and still not sure whether to take it to someone or do it myself.

I can't remember what your plans were for the driveline, are you fitting it all as standard? Or are you doing engine work, hi stall etc before it goes in?

9. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    im running the engine rock stock including factory maf. tune will be tweaked for new exhaust thats about it. Lou supplied with with a good second hand tc he had off a box he just upgraded (wasnt blown) so not running a highstall. i was thinking of running the doughnuts on my driveshafts like the wh had but not sure how its going to work. the trans guy recons they rip too easy and are a pain in the ass. i like the idea of a smother ride though, not sure i want a harsh driving experience. ill be swapping the diff to the wh lsd one. that also has the doughnut flange already fitted.

SquishyShoes likes this.
  10. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    some more brake stuff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rears
    [​IMG]
    reusing the rear discs because theyre virtually new, just rusty from when the car was parked outside for a few months. wire wheeled the hats and scraped the remainder off the braking area with a razorblade so i didnt warp any of surfaces.
    [​IMG]
    new wheel bearings. i bought a set at bursons ans when i got home and opened the boxes i found 3 of the 4 bearings were different brands and even different dimensions. this is after i went there to pick up a minor service kit for the rear calipers that i ordered to day before only to have them hand me a kit for the front calipers. when the dude was ordering them for me i even quadruple confirmed "rears yeah". yeah no joke i asked 4 times and he ordered me fronts. i ended up returning them and going across the street to r&e auto parts for the wheel bearings and just left the rear calipers as is.
    [​IMG]
    also been hearing the LS crank angle sensors play up a fair bit as well and being i have an engine with unknown km's on it i just ordered a new one to keep on hand. think its a genuine one too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    painted the hats black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sun drying
    [​IMG]
    for color contrast
    [​IMG]
    unmasked
    [​IMG]
    got the wheel bearings grease packed and in place. ill have to look up the torquing procedure, cant remember. sat the dust caps on for now to keep the nasties out. ive got a new pack of split pins as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    took the original wh m/c bracket and bent/shortened it for this application. sanded all the hammer marks out and primed it ready for satin black.
    [​IMG]
    ill keep plugging away tomorrow too, see what else i can get done....

stockies, VS 5.0, ephect and 4 others like this.
  11. Dirbatua

Dirbatua AWOL!

Members Ride:
    VX SS Manual, VX SS Auto, VU SS Auto
    300hp fly wheel aint much :p with a tune and exhaust it will be putting out like 340hp at the fly, so i hope you meant 300kw.

And it aint a genuine sensor :p its an genuine OEM spec replacement, genuine ones have an orange o-ring from the ones Ive seen.

you want to run the donuts, if you buy the proper ones not the ebay spec ones they will be fine, the lash on a solid tailshaft with the LS engine/box combo explode diffs.

At 220rwkw or so the donuts will hold up fine, especially in an automatic, its above 270rwkw they **** up regularly, i have to replace my front one every 12 months or so these days.

12. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    So I'm gaining over 100 HP with a tune and exhaust? Man I wish lol. Are you running the metal doughnut with the poly bushings? Cause I've seen those too and wasn't sure if that was a waste of time or not. I'm planning on running the wh LSD diff with the 3:73 gears.

13. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    hacked up the dust shields to clear the front calipers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we got clearance clarence.
    [​IMG]
    dropped the axles, anyone knows who does reco's? i think im going to drop the cradle complete because i got all new bushings for it anyway, probably easier to do on the floor away from the car.
    [​IMG]

8mm hex in half inch drive. best $20 ive ever spent. those cv bolts are cunce.
    [​IMG]

Trayner likes this.
  14. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Gave me tank the bare metal treatment. Hit it with some SCA etch in a can to keep it from rusting. Its getting stone guard and 2 coats of semi gloss black. Straps too....

EYY, Trayner and Sandman like this.
  15. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    dropped the rear cradle, was actually easier than i thought it was going to be. might need a second pair of hands to get it back on though. gave it a quick rinse with the hose. ordered sway bar D bushes, crossmember to body mount with diff mount add on bush, and spring pad bushes. that should fill in the rest of the rear end bushes that weren't included in the kit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trayner and Reaper like this.
  16. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    gave the tank a lick. wiped off the 1k rattle can stuff. primed with ppg dp40 chewpack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 coats of this ****
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 coats of deltron dg jet black with matting base added for semi gloss effect
    [​IMG]
    fully cured with straps on for entertainment purposes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    no silver here, just muggerfuggin merderdered out. complete with dents....

Sabbath' and Trayner like this.
  17. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    swapped out some more bushes. spring pads were toast. did all the sway bar links, inner and outer control arm bushes and will fit the crossmember to chasis bushes tomorrow. swapped over the diff ends and deleted the abs sensor brackets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bye bye abs
    [​IMG]
    tighten up the diff bracket with this add on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jecs, Trayner and Reaper like this.
  18. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
    awesome updates, keep em coming!

19. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    will do

put on the brake lines today, everything is finger tight as i just wanted to make sure everything is sweet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these spots were a touch close to the caliper lines, i trimmed them back like an overgrown toenail. they were almost touching.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these clips the new lines come with are junk. they just spread open when you try to bang them in place. binned them and used the originals.
    [​IMG]

Trayner likes this.
  20. stockies

stockies Bannana

Members Ride:
    G6E Turbo
    Black tank?

Disappointing.....
    Ii it still the 65 litre tank to?