Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

||| hi_ryder's VP Calais LS1

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
yeeeeeh! excellent work mate.

does that need a quick bead of the weld on it to keep it square?

yeah i put that 10mm bolt there to hold it all together while you weld it. it will work like this though, the throttle wire touches the bolt, but once its gone it will be free and clear.

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
make me one too kthx.

Also did your headers on the driver side foul on the fuel pressure/return, charcoal canister and brake line at all? I had no clearance.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
make me one too kthx.

Also did your headers on the driver side foul on the fuel pressure/return, charcoal canister and brake line at all? I had no clearance.

where the steering rack connects to column that area... yeah all those lines are almost touching the headers and will have to be moved. i have to look again so see exactly which ones are there....

ari seems to think a suited psi fuel hose will be fine, its what he used on his impala sooooo....

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
where the steering rack connects to column that area... yeah all those lines are almost touching the headers and will have to be moved. i have to look again so see exactly which ones are there....

ari seems to think a suited psi fuel hose will be fine, its what he used on his impala sooooo....

Yeah mine were well in the way, I ended up cutting the pressure and return lines further back in order to get the headers on coz they were touching bad.

I believe i'm going to go to Braided pressure line from the pressure tube which can be done with an fitting adaptors and the like. I'll let you know how I go. The return line will most likely be trimmed even further back so it's right out of the way as i'm not using it.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
needed clip for cruise cable. broken office chair to the rescue...

photobucket-84476-1420077079907_zps5017dabb.jpg

it fits!

photobucket-23185-1420077118191_zps849b0a62.jpg

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
heres what im thinking about the AC compressor. ari told me its a long way off but i need to think about what real estate im going to take up in the future so i can plan around it now. the stock wh high pressure power steering pipe fits perfect and will clear an ac compressor in this location, but ill have to route the low pressure return line to hug the frame rail out of the way.

photobucket-106974-1420081049250_zpsdd61599f.jpg

photobucket-135156-1420081089533_zps9bca515c.jpg

so this is what got me thinking about swing mounting the ac compressor.

69Camaro_Lou_08.30.12i_07.JPG

LSA Powered 69 Camaro - "Lou's Change" - Page 5

it would be easier to just get the same type of compressor as the one in the link, but i can maybe mount mine to a heavy gauge piano hinge on plates and then use a similar telescopic bolt like the one in the link. using the stock compressor will mean keeping the whole ac system original, no suprises. obviously ill have to have custom ac pipes made up...

also being that the ac compressor is oil filled i dont think i can rotate it too far from stock or it might starve and burn out. maybe like 30 degrees max...

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
that wire that goes to the old compressor is the PCM's on/off signal wire and is used to engage the pulley. the PCM will need that signal to know when AC is on because it adjusts spark advance accordingly, so if you get a new pump, youll need to make sure the switch is compatable.

how you'd check that ... i dont really know.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
unless we just switch off AC-bump to spark....

so if we want to use the v6 compressor we have to find out how to tie it in to the ls pcm? im assuming thats what you mean...

hey also the trans cooling lines (ones that attach to the radiator) run right under the passenger side headers, i have no idea if there going to touch or not. i guess we might need to bend them if they foul...