Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID High Beam/Flash Issue

_VS_

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Series 2
Hey everyone, so I've got a bit of a dilemma... I've installled HIDs into both my low beam (H4) and the high beam (H3) of my VS, Everything works as it should with the exception being the flash (pull stalk toward you) and high beam (push stalk away).
When high beam is triggered the bulbs in the low beam are supposed to flick up and the high beam section should come on too... This works fine when you pull the stalk towards you (flash), but when you flick them onto highs (push it away) the low beam bulbs completely switch off instead of moving up... so you're left with just the high beam section...

I was thinking that I could swap the wires in the stalk so that flash would be pushing the stalk away and high beam would be pulling it towards you... That way it will lock into place and I wont have to hold it all the time. lol

Thanks in advance for all your help!

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hey everyone, so I've got a bit of a dilemma... I've installled HIDs into both my low beam (H4) and the high beam (H3) of my VS, Everything works as it should with the exception being the flash (pull stalk toward you) and high beam (push stalk away).
When high beam is triggered the bulbs in the low beam are supposed to flick up and the high beam section should come on too... This works fine when you pull the stalk towards you (flash), but when you flick them onto highs (push it away) the low beam bulbs completely switch off instead of moving up... so you're left with just the high beam section...

I was thinking that I could swap the wires in the stalk so that flash would be pushing the stalk away and high beam would be pulling it towards you... That way it will lock into place and I wont have to hold it all the time. lol

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Problem is the stock H4 globe is dual filament (high and low). The factory wiring is designed to switch the low beam off when high beam is on (pushing the stalk away), but as you now have HID it will effectively kill the entire h4 bulb when you switch high beams on. A wiring mod need to be made at the stalk, bridge the White & White/black wires together, this will solve the problem.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Or you could run proper globes and not be a toss with HID's

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Legalities aside, they offer many benefits over "proper globes". Yes they are in a reflector lense but aimed down further to compensate I have had no complaints, and its passed 2 roadworthy inspections and attracted no police attention with them installed for the last 3 years.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Why not just have the normal globes for the low beam and your HID for the hi?