Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID in a VE

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
To those who have installed HIDs in their VEs. Did you guys use an extra relay switch/harness or plug straight into the original harness?

If you guys plug straight in, do you have any issues with one side not turning on properly or anything like that?

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Did you guys have any issues with distorting or discolouration of your head light lenses?
I've heard that they get extremely hot and can melt your head lights.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
There are some really cheap HID's out there. Im not saying that they are no good, but make sure they have things such as UV Cut glass to protect headlight lenses etc. A quick search on the net will advise regarding HID's and the pro's and con's.

Ive never had any issues with mine that couldn't be solved with just a phone call to the retailer.

Alot of people I know with both VZ and VE's get them from a gentleman called Len from Ezihid.com. This is who I got mine from also. He also supplies the LED's which myself and alot of friends have put under our lights also.

For the VE's, have a look on Ezihid's website link below. He sells an all-in-one kit for the VE. This means no external ballast required to be messing up your engine bay. They connect straight onto the rear of the VE lights. You get everything required including hole cutter for the rear light plastic cover.

I would have gone the all in one kit for my VZ but there just isnt enough room between the radiator parts and the lights. The VE's have plenty of room.

Obviously there are cheaper kits out there, but being able to call and talk to someone (Ezihid has Phone Number), plus the backup service if something should happen to go wrong or be delivered damage, well this speaks for itself I believe.

HID seller link below;
EZIHID Shop Leading quality HID Xenon headlight conversion kits, sizes H1, H3,H4,H7, H11,H13 9004,9005,9006,9007, Aftermarket headlights Sydney Western Australia, Queensland qld

LED thread link below;
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/137992-led-head-lights-2.html#post1593070

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/137992-led-head-lights.html

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks for the replies. My left headlight keeps going out at first the bulb blew so i replaced it. Then the ballast fried and i replaced that too. But then thew new ballast fried (same side) and it fried again. LOL
I will be sending it back to get replacement and will be buying that relay kit. Hopefully it'll fix my problem. Normally new cars won't need relay kits thought but i guess something is wrong...

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Errrr... HIDs in a VE are ILLEGAL! Well, the new Caprice has them but all others = ILLEGAL.

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Errrr... HIDs in a VE are ILLEGAL! Well, the new Caprice has them but all others = ILLEGAL.

Exactly. It isnt ellegal to sell them but its ellegal to fit them.

If you have any accident at night your insurance company could deny your claim.
I wouldnt be taking the risk. It could be very costly.

I just put a set of eclipse globs in and got a free set of LED parkers from the seller. Very white light, I am happy.

Pete in Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, V8
I fitted a pair of Hella compact Xenon HID driving lights, Rallye 4000. These do not replace the original lights - they are an extra set of (bar mounted) spotties that supplement the car's built in lights.

FANTASTIC if you're doing country driving.