Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID kit

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
Will the HIDs work well in the VY SS headlights as its not a projector headlight.....??

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Say I was to get only 1 HID kit as they are pretty pricey, would you recommend getting high or low beam? I'm thinking low beam as they look awesome and would seem like my standard high beam anyway but the Highbeams light would be kick arse.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Will the HIDs work well in the VY SS headlights as its not a projector headlight.....??

I've said this before, you can put a HID kit into any headlight. BUT, due to projector style headlights being exactly that, projecting the light source in a controlled manner you have less risk of the light going astray. Less risk of attracting unwanted attention ;);) (because the kits are illegal, but you have to be SOOOO unlucky to get defected or insurance not paying up because of them) and less risk of them blinding other drivers. Now because yours is an VY SS, your front bar wont match the projector style headlights, so you'll have to get a new front bar if you plan to change them over, or get the little tear drop filled in a the bar repainted.

So to answer your question, yes and no, they will still emmit the light, but not in a focused beam like the projector style lights will.

Say I was to get only 1 HID kit as they are pretty pricey, would you recommend getting high or low beam? I'm thinking low beam as they look awesome and would seem like my standard high beam anyway but the Highbeams light would be kick arse.

Whats pricey? my kit was $200.

When i got my kit i wasnt goin to do highbeam cus they were fine... at the time. Once the kit goes in, i found it annoying having yellow highbeams with white HID low beams.

This is how my set up will be in the next couple of weeks

Low beam: 35watt 6000k HID's
High beam: 50 6000k HID's
Driving lights: 35 watt HID's (I swapped my standard foggies for projector ones, look at my ride for details)

I'm a big fan of HID's, but only in projector style lights. :)

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
hmm.. well i have some blue-ish highbeams so I might just go for some lowbeam HID's a bit further down the track.

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
Go to GadgetMaster
Gerald has been recommended by so many motoring forum blokes its not funny, no-one has a bad thing to say about him, I'm dealing with him now..plus he provides a 10% discount if you mention your from ls1.com.au (the forum Im on and he knows about) not sure if he is associated with justcommodores...

Im gonna go for it, stuff it..Ive seen HIDs on alot of older cars which arent projector style headlights, so im gonna run it and see how I go..plus he is selling me some LEDs for the foglights to match the HID brightness and colour so it should look good and cant watch to get rid of the yellow!!

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
That's where I got all my kits from, top bloke. Wouldn't buy them from anyone else :)

pepstar87

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SSV M6
Im still not 100% on purchasing them for my reflectors...I want HIDs and all but yeah, Im not 100% confident it will work right, even though Gerald from Gadget Master has photos on his website to proove the line of light is the same..I dont know whats stopping me.

hid-beampattern.jpg

I have ordered some white LED foglights however for now.

DUK13Y

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
cant see the photo mate

Works for me. Go the HID. You'll be fine. If that pic is anything to go by there will be no issue except for people thinking that the HID's are your highbeams due to there awesomeness