Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID legal ?

callan91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega 3.0L Series 2
Hey guys,
Got done over the weekend and now have 0 points.
Going for the "double or nothing" and heard if you have any deffects with your car or pay a fine late they can screw you for it.
I fitted Xenon 6000k HID lights to my VE (High beam, Low beam and Parkers). Just wondering if they are legal and if anyone has any advice with "double or nothing." (apart from don't speed etc .. we get it .. i ####ed up, now im trying to move on)

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
He is in WA.
Pretty sure HID's are illegal in every state as the ADR requires the vehicle to have light washes and adjustable beam.
What are HID park lights? Do your lights have the ballest or are they just a blueish colour?

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Beat me to it.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The HIDs are not legal in any state of Australia, unless your car is fitted with projector headlamps, self levelling suspension, and headlight washers.

Replace them with Phillips +100 Extremes which are (NOT the diamond or crystal vision, which arent..).
Your parkers wont be HID, they are more likely a blue or blue-ish LED, which is also illegal anyway.

One point though, I am not sure if the double or nothing necessarily applies with faults to your car or just your actions.

I'm in QLD, and obviously laws are different in each state, but I was done for driving an unregistered, uninsured, and unroadworthy car a couple years ago ( I was moving a project car 20km on rural roads at 2am grrr, but still my own fault) and I didn't even lose any points.

Just a $600 fine, no points were involved, so in that case the double or nothing probably would not have applied. I'd check with the authorities rather than taking my word for it though.

callan91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega 3.0L Series 2
The parkers were just little push in white LED's but they came in the pack.
I will upload a photo when i get back home but it seems like a cool white colour not so much a blue.
I think they look awesome but if its going to #### me up i should remove them.

Oh and my faith in policeman/women has been restored. Nicest cop ever pulled me over. Told me he knew why I did it, but i still shouldnt and actually said sorry when handing me the ticket .. I was expecting a power trip lecture.

DAKSTER how much were those globes ?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Around $50 on fleabay for a pair, or closer to $80 at autobarn or sca.

Some of those 'white' LEDs have a bluish tinge to them, but it would take a pretty anal cop to pick you up on them. I guess you could keep a packet of similar spares in the glovebox, just to show you have bought what the packet says was white and your intentions were good. I dont think I would stress about those though unless they had a fairly strong blue tinge about them. Just a tiny bit you could probably get away with although technically illegal.

The 6K HIDs, even if you fit all the other requirements, would probably be borderline anyway. Much over 5K and the lights have a blue tinge to them, and even though they may look cool, they a/ arent as effective as 4-5K and b/ its illegal to display ANY blue lights on the front or back of your car. That includes license plate lights. Blue is reserved for cops and emergency vehicles.