Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

_VS_

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Series 2
Hi all, So I recently purchased a HID kit for my hi beams in my VS commodore, they work great, so I decided to get my headlights adjusted, so I could put them in the low beams as well.
I've installed them into the lows, but now when I turn them on they chuck a spaz and go crazy
Sometimes both the low beams (left and right) will light up, then I flick on the high beams and they turn off completely.
or I'll turn them on and one low beam will be on and one high beam.
They flicker, then die out so I'm stumped...

Any help would be awesome.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Check and try swapping out your relays. Sounds like something is faulty.

To confirm put your factory bulbs back in and see if it's still playing up

_VS_

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Series 2
Swapped out the ballasts with the ones in the high beam to see if that made any difference, but it still goes mad...
I got H4 bulbs that have HID for the low beam and then a smaller Halogen bulb for the highs, the weird thing is that when I put the old bulbs back in it works fine, or if I just have the HID's in the low beam and put the H3 bulbs back in the high beam part everything works as well, so it's as if the car can't handle the 4 or something.
But it's weird that it turns on the right hand side low beam HID and the left hand side high beams, even when the stalk is in low beam mode...
Everything is hooked up as it should be, I've tried switching the polarity, but nothing seems to help.

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
It could be going spastic because the initial inrush of current required to ignite the gas inside the tube is causing a momentairly large voltage drop accross the ballast (turns itself off then because of the undervoltage protection they have built into them to prevent the battery from going flat if the lights are left on)

Happened to me when I tried retrofitting the ballasts to work in hand held torches. You could try run them with your own relay and see how you go.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It will be a wiring issue. Each side has to have it's own trigger from each respective light socket. If you try and trigger two lights from one side it will do that. Not enough power to fire up all ballasts. You can't wire them like spotlights where they only need one feed. Each ballast requires it's own feed.

_VS_

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Series 2
So I think it might be a problem with the wiring, it's almost as if it doesn't get enough power run all 4 ballasts which is odd because I've seen VS's with HID's before, as for the earth points I'm not sue where they are to be honest... I've only had the car for 3 weeks :p
I've noticed that the high beams get their power from the same cable as the low so it could be something to do with that maybe? It's like the wire splits and runs across to the highs.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
it shouldnt be running all four should it? i thought that when you put the highs on it kills the lows and that the only time all four should be on is when you pul the lever towards you to flash?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Each ballast has to get it's power from each individual existing light plug. So the LH side has to get it's high beam power from the high beam plug and the low from the low beam plug and vise versa. If you only have H4 HID's then they take their power off the existing H4 plug. The HID kits should have a plug that plugs straight into the original plug.