Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID Upgrade

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
Hey, has anyone done an HID Upgrade on their vz? Opinions? Results? Issues? I'm thinking of upgrading my high beam bulbs to hid and maybe also the spotlights. The spots are just the factory bumper ones so not sure how they'll go. But definitely keen to do high beams. What about the different bulbs Phillips offer, they worth it at all?

Cheers James

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Heres some lube.....
n0674-anul_lube.jpg

your gonna need it by tomorrow morning when everyone reads this thread.... most people here have a dislike.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
I dont have a problem with HID high beams, you only have them on when no one is around

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
Dislike of HID's? This is why I ask, I don't need anal lube, I'm open to peoples dislikes as long as they have an alternative to look at.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
as long as they have an alternative to look at.

There in lies the problem.... but now that I've said this... no one will flame you probably. lol

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
I dont have a problem with HID high beams, you only have them on when no one is around

Yea, I hate people who don't dip their lights. The high/low beam H4's are a **** upgrade in my opinion, I'd rather have separate spot lights instead, but for the high beam H1's I wonder if they'd work well, much cheaper than spots.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Yes they do work well... I have a pair of 75W HIDs in my VT and is an amazing upgrade. When you say spots on the bumper, do you mean the fogs down low? If so, I wouldn't change them to HID, they'd be useless in fog.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I just put in h4 hi/lo HID and had my headlights adjusted propery (with the proper equipment) and they are the best thing for night driving. Never been flashed yet, and they sit pretty low. They also light up street signs so much better. I got them from jaycar for $80 and they are 35w

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
HIDs in any non projector lense = no. This means H4s, so if you don't want to upgrade to calais / ss headlights then don't do it.

Don't put HIDs in your fogs, they need a cut off. When you've put them in your projectors (H9s), spend a bit of time angling them low.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Hey, has anyone done an HID Upgrade on their vz? Opinions? Results? Issues? I'm thinking of upgrading my high beam bulbs to hid and maybe also the spotlights. The spots are just the factory bumper ones so not sure how they'll go. But definitely keen to do high beams. What about the different bulbs Phillips offer, they worth it at all?

Cheers James

Only problem with high beam HID lamps is the delay you get from them warming up but if you can deal with that you'll be fine.
You're in WA so ill probably never see you on the road but I will suggest you keep the halogen lamps in low beam and the fog lights - HID's in anything other than high beam usually cause an involuntary response from other drivers to drive at you with their high beam on - I'm guilty of this almost every day.