Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hidden towball

LASSTV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline
No it's still in the planning stage.

Are you trolling?

I've got a SSV Redline and want to do something with a 50mm vertical output under the car. Then you can install a 50mm right angle piece that comes out from underneath. I had this on a previous car and it was great.

But no one makes this so it would need to get welded up..

Cheers

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Are you trolling?

Trewman hasn't been on this site since 2015 so what I'm saying is it's unlikely you'll get an answer from him.

It's a very old thread and the first thing you do is check to see if the forum member is still active and if not try a private message and hope his email hasn't changed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Despite the old thread, thought I’d add the following:

The BMW X1 has a clever the tow bar and plug that is under the car and hidden behind the plastic rear bumper. The “U” style tow ball attaches and and locks into the bar itself while the plug simply swings down when in use. As I said, it’s clever but i doubt it’s a 2100kg arrangement though that wouldn’t be an issue for many.

So for those curious as to the arrangement, go to a BMW dealer and have a look at how they set up the crazy priced tow bar on a 5 year old X1. Maybe some tow bar manufacturer can take the BMW arrangement and modify it or combine it with the Hayman Reece arrangement to fit our VF’s... it would sure be a nicer solution.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Despite the old thread, thought I’d add the following:

The BMW X1 has a clever the tow bar and plug that is under the car and hidden behind the plastic rear bumper. The “U” style tow ball attaches and and locks into the bar itself while the plug simply swings down when in use. As I said, it’s clever but i doubt it’s a 2100kg arrangement though that wouldn’t be an issue for many.

So for those curious as to the arrangement, go to a BMW dealer and have a look at how they set up the crazy priced tow bar on a 5 year old X1. Maybe some tow bar manufacturer can take the BMW arrangement and modify it or combine it with the Hayman Reece arrangement to fit our VF’s... it would sure be a nicer solution.

Mate at work ordered one of these on his C class, then promptly sold his caravan!
Pretty neat

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
i have them on my current and previous BMW's, but have never seen them made for Commodore's

LASSTV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline
Trewman hasn't been on this site since 2015 so what I'm saying is it's unlikely you'll get an answer from him.

It's a very old thread and the first thing you do is check to see if the forum member is still active and if not try a private message and hope his email hasn't changed.

Yeah fair enough, but I figured if he doesn't reply or isn't around, then what's the harm. Reviving an old thread doesn't really hurt anyone. Except annoying the admins. Plus I might get 2020 responses from other people. I'm not much into forums as you can see :)

Back to the topic though, I've owned cars with this before and they were great. I've seen some commodore towbars where the 50mm tongue doesn't come out of the bumper horizontally have some sort of vertical arrangement to go around the bumper to some degree. One example is here.

Here are a bunch of photos from a previous install, I think they explain it pretty well so I won't bother describing them.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

It was a different life, but the principles are the same.

Cheers

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yeah fair enough, but I figured if he doesn't reply or isn't around, then what's the harm. Reviving an old thread doesn't really hurt anyone. Except annoying the admins. Plus I might get 2020 responses from other people. I'm not much into forums as you can see :)

I always think reviving old threads it a good idea as it keeps the info compressed and easier to follow if something new is added, so I have no problem with you opening this up, I just thought you're unlikely to get an answer from the OP.

I can understand why owners look for an alternative to the way Holden punches the towbar out through the rear bar, it looks atrocious.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This is the BMW tow bar arrangement i was referencing. Very simple to install and remove the tow ball and you wouldn't know the car could tow when the tow ball isn;t installed.
Surely it's possible to mod a Holden based bar using parts pinched from a BMW wreck. Probably not cost effective for most but if it's important, something to consider.

PS: i like the Merc arrangement but that looks more complicated to retrofit.

LASSTV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline
I see the 2018+ Commodores have this sort of hidden fallace style arrangement. I'm after a 50mm output though to be honest as I want to use a bike rack and other accessories that use the 50mm standard. I'm not going to be towing lots, just family stuff and occasionally a box trailer.

ssblack

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 commodore ss black edition
I see the 2018+ Commodores have this sort of hidden fallace style arrangement. I'm after a 50mm output though to be honest as I want to use a bike rack and other accessories that use the 50mm standard. I'm not going to be towing lots, just family stuff and occasionally a box trailer.
hey guys just leave your ball and bar out there in their face if it doesn't obscure your plate its very cheap insurance from bum bangers