Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID's in non-projector headlights, how long?

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
ok i know im probably going to start a massive argument about this topic being stupid/illegal/what ever else lol, but im getting some headlight and fog light HID's put in on the weekend for my VY.

now i have aftermarket fog lights and ss headlights, the ebay kind, and are wondering how long ill have before the HID's 'cook' the lenses and they become yellow/not as reflective aka dont work.
is it years? months? weeks? i just wanna know if anyone has done this and seen how long they lasted.

i assume it wouldnt happen for at least a year or so before you see any change in the output, it might be worth noting that im getting 8000K (not sure of wattage).

i know they are illegal and blah blah blah but before you have a go at me 1, you cant get projector lights for a VY (except the concept car ahah) and 2. i will be trying my hardest to angle them down cause i only want them to be white/blue and alot more light than normal, not to get into fights with other road users lol.

if anyone has had experience or anything that would be great, cheers.

oh and ill post pics of before and after too.

cheers.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
normally because the hid are HOTTER when running they BURN the reflective surface
but also be aware that if you have plastic face (glass on fog lights normally)
they will burn them too

basically if your headlights are on then dont cover them at all even for a short time as they will cook the plastic of the headlights,

as for the reflective surface inside the lamp i found with lots of night driving to and from work i got 8 months out of my headlights, but i bought a full hid kit and the bulbs had an extra skirt at the very base where you plug it in... so may be different to yours....

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
i also wanna get a HID kit 5000k tho, and a set of vx ss headlights from ebay. make sure you post your pictures i wanna see. good luck

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Hahaha 8000k. Good luck I bet you get defected the day you put them in.

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
Hahaha 8000k. Good luck I bet you get defected the day you put them in.

haha doesnt matter if i get 4300k or 30000k still illegal, but that wasnt the question.

thanks db_notso, i think ill just buy anouther pair and chuck em in the garage until they melt lol, i assumed as much but hoped it wouldnt be that bad. would genuine ones be any better you reckon? worth forking out 600$ compared with 130? IMO id rather buy 4 sets of the fake ones that 1 of genuines anyway haha.

either way cant wait to get these both on the weekend, been driving around the last year with the 20$ chinese Xenon "7500k" globes which look white from front but cant see #### all at night, i turn them off at night and the only difference is my interior lights lol.

cheers guys ill keep you posted

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
you just have to be careful with leaving them on and stuff or covering them

basically fog lights will be fine (illegally fine i think) but if a headlight isnt designed to have the higher temperatures it likely to eventually die from the heat...

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
My current car is a Subaru Liberty with 35w 5000k HIDs (German after market) and projectors (Factory) I have had over 2500 hours with the same set of HIDs and the bulbs are now losing their strength and colour.

Are the reflectors the reason for the loss and melting issues as I have never had the issue.

The 8000k colour is the most likely reason you will get noticed by the boys in blue. Personally I wouldnt go above 6000k otherwise you will be noticed. I have never been questioned on mine, and trust me that a turbo charged Subaru will atract all sorts of attention from them IF they see something different.

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
yeah thanks mate, in my area alot of commodores have them and they point their headlights up to piss drivers off, and we dont get bugged too much, but im sure if i got pulled over they would defect me straight away haha,

yeah i read a few places that because its reflecting off plastic not glass like projectors, the normal headlights fade and go yellow from the excess heat (as they are not designed to handle it)

as long as i get most of a year out of them before the headlights start to fade or discolour ill be happy, as i said its only 134$ for a new pair. im not so worried about the foglights as they are a glass lense but the insided will still fade i think.