Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

high and low beam

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
Is there a globe available for the low beam socket on a VF Commodore that has high and low beam?........I realise that there would be wiring from the high beam circuit to operate the high beam would be needed.....i am not worried about the pattern as I would be using it in the country.......would the high/low beam being on for long periods of time have a deprimental effect on the projector len's?.....

.I do not wish to play around with the fancy lights that have heat coolers on the back of the globe....they can throw up all sorts of codes and cause all sorts of problems......The VF is basically a computer on wheels.........

Maybe the pattern for low beam in the concrete jungle would be all other the place due to the filament placement in the globe...or do I put up with low beam being like a Cobb & Co stage coach light!!!!!.....and leave as is.
Any comments appreciated.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i dont think you will find a dual filament bulb made to fit the socket, you might be able to modify a h4 bulb to make it fit.
something you will need to consider will be the wiring and how you set it up.

i would not tap into the other high beam bulbs wire for the second bulbs high beam power source as running 2 bulbs on the one wire may cause it to melt.

you could run a second power source for the second high beam bulb to solve that problem but you would want to disable the low filament on the bulb when you switch the high filament on because running both filaments at the same time might cause too much heat.
if you disable the low beam filament it will throw errors

you would really need to design a switching circuit to flip the power source from the low filament to the high filament for the best result and with any luck the switch will be quick enough for the bcm not to detect the change and throw errors.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Short answer No?
Have you tried +130’s or +150’s H7’s? I like the 130’s. Brighter and longer throw. For the price of +150’s, yes their brighter than 130’s but all of the light is right in front of you. I’m not buying them again when they blow. Theres nothing in halogen for the h9 in the high beams. Light bar or driving lights for better highbeam.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Is there a globe available for the low beam socket on a VF Commodore that has high and low beam?.......
I doubt the optics would have been optimised for a dual fillament bulb so if you frankenstien something to work, results may not be what you expect.
would the high/low beam being on for long periods of time have a deprimental effect on the projector len's?.....
If you increase wattage of an incandescent bulb then you'll get more heat, and the high beams produce more heat.... Heat and plastics, policarbonates, etc don't play well together and who knows what sort of heat headroom the designers build into their standard projector headlamp assemblies.

An alternative could be to find a wrecked WN commodore with HID lights and buy all the parts (headlamp assemblies, washer botle, wiring, control box, steering wheel switch gear, etc, etc, etc) needed to install them on your vehicle and hope no BCM programing is required. , then get it engineered and mod plated to be legit...

The simplest is to install LED high beam globes into the high beam part of the headlamp assembly... It's legal to do in i think almost all states and much less of a headfcuk.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
For what it’s all worth you’ll get better results from less effort with a light bar or spotlights etc. You’ll need to modify the power to the headlights to run an extra set of high beam bulbs. Just like adding auxiliary lighting.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
The simplest is to install LED high beam globes into the high beam part of the headlamp assembly... It's legal to do in i think almost all states and much less of a headfcuk.
Nope. No aftermarket LED conversion are ADR compliant, thus illegal.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Nope. No aftermarket LED conversion are ADR compliant, thus illegal.
Vicroads is sloppy with its documentation on the subject matter and only provide this page and this page in my quick search…

So the use of LED bulbs (>= 2000 lumens and without headlamp washers) in the low beam part of the halogen headlamp assembly are illegal.

But use of LED bulbs in the high beam part of the halogen headlamp assembly are indeed legal in most states as lots of legality exists around when and how you can actually use high beams. So strong high beams are not illegal in and of themselves, be they Halogen or LED :p

PS: from Vicroads testing times issue 14, the following is stated:

The Australian Vehicle Standards Rules (effectively the standards for registration) prohibit any lamp other than high beam headlamps from being adjusted in a way that could dazzle the driver of any approaching vehicle. The aiming requirements for front fog lamps is the same as for low beam headlights. Effectively, the top of the cut off or major part of the beam should be at least 50mm lower than the centre of the lamp at a distance of 7.5 metres. Even if they are adjusted this way but you still judge that they could dazzle another driver you should not issue a RWC.
So high beams are allowed to dazzle drivers and thus even powerful LED bulbs are not an issue from that perspective ;) After all, you can add auxiliary spotlights or lightbars that turn on with the high beams and melt the road… so using LED bulbs in high beam is all without issue :cool:

NSW goes a little further in this doc and states the following:

6. LAMPS CONTAINING LIGHT EMITTING DIODES (LEDs)
LED lamps are common on modern vehicles due to their high efficiency. There is also an increasing range of LED globes that are intended as replacements for traditional filament globes, both in headlamps as well as other lamps such as indicators. Retrofitted LED globes are permitted as long as they are designed as a direct replacement for the original globe, and maintain the compliance of the lamp with the relevant requirements. Some aftermarket LED globes may fit directly into the original vehicle housing, but these still need to be assessed that they comply with the applicable vehicle standards.
Except for a vehicle manufacturer’s approved replacement part, before purchasing an aftermarket LED lamp or replacement LED globe for a fitted lamp, check that its manufacturer clearly states on its packaging that the lamp/globe is suitable for road use and complies with the relevant ADR requirements.
Technical requirements
Lamps containing LED globes must comply with the same technical requirements, including ADR 51/00 as those containing filament/incandescent globes, including the intensity, distribution, and colour of their emitted light.
Use
Lamps containing LED globes are subject to the same operational requirements as those containing filament/incandescent globes.

I haven’t looked for a while but problem is finding some aftermarket LED globe that states ADR compliant or doesn’t state “for off road use”. Operationally, in high beams, LED globes aren’t and issue…

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
Why not fit a lightbar? This is my car to give you an idea.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/my-led-lightbar-install.288949/

I also fitted Stedi Led high and low beam globes with no warning lights on the dash.

I had a short light bar about half the size of yours bolted on a home made alumium angle bracket bolted with 4 self tapping screws to the front black bumper in the middle above the number plate....I had to lower the number plate..... the self tapers were 4 mm dia. to securley attach.

The problem was...on toll roads the attachment on the wind screen was not registerng...as the light bar was obscuring the number plate...and I was coping a video fee on top of the toll fee.

So removed the Stedi light bar and sold it....if there were no toll roads the set I had would of been excellent....was not keen to remove the bumper completely with all the clips and attachments.

By the way....as the number plate was lowered down it blocked some air flow through the bottom grill....i noticed the temp gauge rise marginally....but was not a cause for panic.