Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

high and low beam

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Is there a globe available for the low beam socket on a VF Commodore that has high and low beam?........I realise that there would be wiring from the high beam circuit to operate the high beam would be needed.....i am not worried about the pattern as I would be using it in the country.......would the high/low beam being on for long periods of time have a deprimental effect on the projector len's?.....

.I do not wish to play around with the fancy lights that have heat coolers on the back of the globe....they can throw up all sorts of codes and cause all sorts of problems......The VF is basically a computer on wheels.........

Maybe the pattern for low beam in the concrete jungle would be all other the place due to the filament placement in the globe...or do I put up with low beam being like a Cobb & Co stage coach light!!!!!.....and leave as is.
Any comments appreciated.
Doesn't the projector assembly allow for half beam plus the throw out to the left for the low beam? A dual globe would not make a different in this case.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
Doesn't the projector assembly allow for half beam plus the throw out to the left for the low beam? A dual globe would not make a different in this case.

I do not know....I understand your food for thoughts ....maybe someone can throw more light on this?....all i am really trying to do is improve the light on the low beam to show more light when high beam is activated....it would give more light in the pattern of the low beam....i understand that it will not throw more light further down the road......only brighter in front of vehicle.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I do not know....I understand your food for thoughts ....maybe someone can throw more light on this?....all i am really trying to do is improve the light on the low beam to show more light when high beam is activated....it would give more light in the pattern of the low beam....i understand that it will not throw more light further down the road......only brighter in front of vehicle.
Just change the globes. I had Philips Crystal vision in my car until globes blew and now I have Diamond vision. I think I preferred the Crystal vision. I have LED for my high beams. The low beam i still not as bright as some other cars but an improvement over the stock "yellow" globes.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Here's a Narva LED conversion in a VF high and low beam

20211007_214405.jpg
20211007_214415.jpg

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yes, the cut offs are incorporated in the low beam projector lens.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
… all i am really trying to do is improve the light on the low beam to show more light when high beam is activated....
Improve your high beams by installing quality LED replacement bulbs. After all that’s what you use to see down the road, when traveling at high speed, at night, out in the country.

When high beams are on, the low beam light pattern isn’t really relevant to safe driving. What’s relevant is the high beam penetration and light pattern +100m down the road… That’s because you need to see much further down the road @ 100kph than at 60kph in a built up area. In fact, having too good a low beam when using your high beams tends to take your focus away from further down the road (in a bizarre twist of ocular psychology)…

As a FYI, at 100kph it takes 42m to react with your total stopping distance being 98m…. You need to see far down the road to recognise the danger so low beams are much less important…

Contrast this to 60kph where it takes 25m to react with a total stopping distance being 45m. Such is why low beam spread is the way it is… No need to be looking at +100m down the road…

I suspect the issue isn’t your low beams but your high beam visibility :p Still, new globes all around may be worth the effort as halogens do yellow over time :cool:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Improve your high beams by installing quality LED replacement bulbs. After all that’s what you use to see down the road, when traveling at high speed, at night, out in the country.
Additionally, legalities were mentioned on the earlier page, in particular you said Vicroads weren't particularly precise?
That means it's important what the police think, as they're the only ones who're going to ever do anything about it ... if they have a bee in their bonnet about "different to normal" headlights then you might get pulled over, and sure it won't cost you anything to clear the inaccurate defect-notice BUT it's still a PITA doing so.
Except ...
... if it's high beam, nobody's ever going to know. When it's being super bright & shiny, it's so far away no policeperson's going to be able to even suspect it's not standard headlightage.

I'm hoping that by the time our standard bulbs wear out, LED will be a commonplace enough replacement that replacement LED's will be a bit less hit-and-miss than they currently are, with triggering of internal systems that don't recognise their current-use or what-have you.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Additionally, legalities were mentioned on the earlier page, in particular you said Vicroads weren't particularly precise?
Yes, Vicroads weren't particularly precise in the wording within the docs I found in my quick search. But there may be other docs with Vicroads website that have more precise wording around the use of LED bulb in halogen high beam headlamp assemblies, I just didn’t find them in my quick search…

What is clear is that even ADR’s don‘t put design limits on high beam headlamps around blinding on coming vehicles.

It‘s the use of high beams that is legislated, Such may not be be used in built up areas (street lights = built up) and not to be used within 200m of a vehicle you are following or within 200m of oncoming vehicles. Such is universal across all Australian states.

This is something police are well aware of so for them to book someone for having LED bulbs in their high beams would be beyond appropriate and I doubt it would happen (unless you are being a ducsh in which case there are many other things they could more easily pick on without later challenge)..

Use of LED bulbs (>2000 lumens) in halogen low beam headlamps assemblies is universally illegal through all Australian states. Yet many say they’ve never been pulled over for such. If pulled over the question can become are the bulbs > or < than 2000 lumens and I doub5 the police will play that game… If they pull you over in your VF for LED bulbs in your low beams, you’ll almost certainly drive off with a ticket.

But such legalities has been discussed to death and in the past I’ve posted links to docs with much more precise wording on the use of LED bulbs in halogen high beam headlamp assemblies… from places like NT and QLD. likes to ADR, etc…

So me, as someone who follows the road rules and wouldn’t use LED bulbs in low beams, I’d have no qualms in using such LED bulbs in my high beam headlamps

Whatever the case with LED bulbs, I’d not want to be pulled over by the blinkered police in Victoria (for any reason). I’ve heard they often have bee’s in their bonnet but then again why wouldn’t they if RBT and Highway Patrol reflect what they have to deal with :p:p:p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
then you might get pulled over, and sure it won't cost you anything to clear the inaccurate defect-notice BUT it's still a PITA doing so.
VicRoads charges $47 to clear inaccurate defects....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
VicRoads charges $47 to clear inaccurate defects....
"If Plod didn't like the cut of your jib, you should have had it cut differently!"
Wow that's a bit crap, given the rep the police have of "getting defects wrong" (ie. teaching young'uns who the boss is) ...