Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High beams staying on, random alarm going off

dawnbeaver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ls1 auto.
Hi guys
VX Ls1 Calais... When I flick the high beams on using the indicator stalk they stay on, wont go off, remove high beam relay - high beams still on. Remove relay and then flick indicator stalk, nothing. Factory alarm going off at random just to cap it off... I assume a short (to earth or another wire?) in the return wire (light green) from headlights to relay. But why does it take turning the high beams on before they get stuck on. If it was a short, I thought they would just be on all the time.
Any ideas before I start running new wire from headlights to relay?
Thanks, really appreciate any help here.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Try removing the fuse as well to see if they still on? that will rule out a short or not, you can also try removing the harness from the stalk and bridge the high beam lights to find out if its the switch or a wiring problem. I'm pretty sure they activate by the earth lead so it be a negative wire staying open . It could be your bcm, maybe a reset might fix it.

Last edited:

dawnbeaver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ls1 auto.
Problem solved... A short circuit to earth in the light green wire that runs from the headlight high beams to the high beam relay. Ran a new wire and works fine.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Problem solved... A short circuit to earth in the light green wire that runs from the headlight high beams to the high beam relay. Ran a new wire and works fine.
That happens when you run higher voltage lights.