Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Compression Pistons

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L
Hey guys, I was just wondering, the compression ratio of the S1 3800 V6 seems pretty low, how much would the engine benifet from a higher compression ratio say 9.5:1? I'm talking, torque, horsepower ect, and if high comp pistons would be the way to go or shaving the head or changing the head ext.
Thanks in advance :) Craig.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
there would be some gain, however it wouldn't be a huge gain or possibly the worth the $$$ spent. would also need a retune to suit.

to raise the compression as much as you've suggested would require changing the pistons

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
A nice big cam AND raised compression on the other hand......

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it certainly would be a interesting experiment and i'd be intrigued by the results. i'd be keen to see what the old buick could do with the same CR and cam specs as the ecotec

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L

Indeed I would also be intrigued by the results.
High Compression Pistons and a CAM, and re-tune.. would hopefully put out an extra 20kw at the wheels, or atleast 30 at the crank? or am I being to generous? lol.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Well if you are going to fit high compression pistons you will almost certainly need to deck the block to obtain correct height. My 3.8 Buick with High compression pistons, 10.5:1, decked block, milled heads, cam, lightened flywheel, 70mm throttle body, bigger injectors and serious head work puts out 161 kw at the wheels. All in a stripped out VC.

Whiteford88

38PONT
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman 5.7L

And how much did that all cost? Seems like a lot of work for only 40 extra kilowatts at the wheel.