Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High flow cats

vxcp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
na all good man topic is about hi flow cats =p guess ull have to wait for NAAF to reply mate

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This is the X pipe you want to fit

Xpipe1.jpg

And you need it fitted here

Exhaust.jpg

Here is one I prepared earlier, this one I fitted to our Senator. Perfect spot on a V6 but too far forward for a V8.

Xpipe2.jpg

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sorry to hi-jack thread

I have a ve sv6 with standard exhaust plus pacmaker extractor and redback rear mufflers and it drones at some points. If I were to fit an x-pipe will that make it quiter/drone less? Where should i fit it?

Ive heard people say to cut out the hotdogs/crimp section after center muffler and put xpipe in place of that. Any good you think?

Yep, there will be fine. Yes it will reduce drone, but the main problem is the Redback mufflers. Fitting larger diameter pipework after the standard size will create a trumpet effect and cause the drone. Change the front section to the larger size as well and it will reduce the drone as well. But the downside to that will be losing a bit of bottom end. The X pipe is probably the best solution.

vxcp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
still abit confused are those the cats at the back that the X pipe connects to (in the third picture)??

sorry for all the stupid questions i dont want an exhaust shop putting it somewhere completly different and making to improvement wat so ever because i didnt undertand what ur saying.

So i have my extractors right. Does the X pipe come off the extractors and bolt on to the cats is that what ur talking about or am i off by a long shot.

Cheers

P.s by the way thanks for putting the time into showing pictures and even taking a photo off one of them man.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
NAAF Why is having an Xpipe after the cats before the centre mufflers to far forward for a V8? And where would you put it?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I reckon the Xpipe in a V6 is the best thing to do. I've got mine placed after the mid-muffler where the crimped section was. I think it helps to keep the rear cans fuller therefore reducing (not stopping) very low rev reverberation. Also mixes the sound up a little more. An xpipe in a stock system in effect also creates a system with two crossovers as I think the mid-muffler also has a h-pipe/perforations arrangement within.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
In the thrid picture you are looking towards the front of the car. The wheel you see is the front wheel. You can see the extractors coming down off the engine, then the cats, then the flanges where the system bolts up, then the X pipe. It is fitted in the exact place I have pointed to in the second picture.

Munz, after fitting the X pipe there on our Senator I noticed an increase in acceleration but a slight loss in top end. I put it down to how the X pipe actually works and how it was slowing down the exhaust flow at high revs.

The X pipe works by crossing the exhaust pulse from one bank to the other speeding up the exhaust flow by adding an extra pulse to that bank. On a V8 you have 4 pulses per side, the X pipe makes it 8. Fitting it closer to the engine speeds up the exhaust flow at lower revs aiding the scavenging effect and reducing back pressure, as the revs increase the pulse get too close together as they are moving faster and as a pulse crosses over, my theory is that it clips the back of the preceding pulse on that side actually slowing it down.

To fix this, I removed the two front mufflers and fitted the X pipe there, this had very little effect on the bottom end but increased acceleration right through to the rev limiter. On a V6 the pulses are further apart so putting the X pipe closer to the engine works better on them.

vxcp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
ok so extractors then cats then Xpipe then muffler, ill be ringing them today and finding out a quote and what not thanks

EDIT: Public Holiday lol no go

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes, fit the X pipe right behind the flanges off the cats where the two sides come together.