Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Idle and PWR Light

holster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1 V8
Hi,

My VP V6 idles about 1500-2000 then drops slowly to 800 in about 10 secs. It does this only when i start it up from warm. If its cold its normal.
I have just cleaned the throttle body and IAC and it hasn't made any difference. I have also reset the ECU as well.
Any ideas?

Also i have a orange PWR light come on the dash now and again?

Thanks

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
might need a new throttle position sensor. i had a friends throttle body that was sticking a little. the spring was binding and causing it to idol at 1500-2000. liberal doses of wd-40 in and around the tension spring fixed the problem. just something to cross off the list...

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
PWR light isnt connected in a VP; was only used on the NZ versions that funnily enough had the 4 cyl engine option. PWR light was used VR onwards when the auto went to elec control. If its coming on in yours, id suggest a wiring issue. Sure it isnt the check engine light?

As for the high idle issue, I had one like this a while back and it was the ECU. Swapped it out and problem solved. First things first though, check the computer for fault codes. Also check your coolant temp sender (behind the alternator- two wires, not the single wire which is for the gauge).

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
check the throttle body isn't sticking or the cable is to tight, start it warm when it's idling high and see if you can manually close the throttle body by hand further to thhe stop.

I've seen on a few cables that the inner white sheath comes free and slowly workks it way out, this in turn holds the throttle open slightly and makes it impossible to adjust the cable properly, this is usually visible at the pedal end (only one of my cars it got to the point it'd hold the throttle open enough to stop the car driving under 60kmh)

on a side note the bonnet release cables suffer the same problem and makes it hard to open the bonnet

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Mine had this issue a while back. Replaced IAC and issue gone. If the stepper motor is on the way out, heat may slow it down.