Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High idle cold start

Sean08ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute
Hey guys wondering if anyone can help.
Not sure if related but i got my alternator replaced couple weeks ago as i had alternator warnings on dash etc..problem is fixed althou after a couple days when starting my car first thing in the morning and leaving work the idle has been sitting between 1500rpm - 1800rpm usually it sits at 500-600.. it seems to go away once the car has warmed up..also on 2 starts its really struggled to turn over, fires over but really rough like its gonna stall but comes good...
Its done this every day now for 5 days straight battery was disconected fornthe alternator repair woukd this play a role as the computer seemnto control everything but yeh i have no idea...today the idle was going up and down quite abit on first start up but was fine for the rest of the day..

Any ideas?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
battery stuffed, clean maff, small vac leak, O2 sensor, is it tuned,otr,exhaust, what fuel, plugs,

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
may have to do a throttle relearn if battery was disconnected for a while

Sean08ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute
Ok so i should mention its a 2008 ve ssv ute. Ive had it for 4.5 hrs ive had no trouble at all till past month alternator now this issue.. replaced battery 2-3yrs ago..its been very reliable till now

I have an dual 3inch cat back and otr but i installed that myself 4 yrs ago, exhaust was done around same time.. when susing it out today i noticed the rubber boot from otr to maf has cracked at the bottom so its not sealed you could poke ur finger throu it..trying to find another one atm..
I havent tryed to clean maf yet..
I haven't had it tuned just services when needed..

Sean08ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute
may have to do a throttle relearn if battery was disconnected for a while
Yeah ive read that on here i think i might do that tomorrow if it keeps happening

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
fix that rubber boot first if its after the maf then it is un metered air which could cause a higher idle

Sean08ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute
Its in front of it, the airbox side..

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07
Sounds like the Battery could be on it's hind legs.

Sean08ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute
Really?
Its been fine everyday since my last reply so over a week. Today leaving work i was at the lights and the revs went up to 1500 twice, sounded like i was hitting the accelerater a couple times then was fine..also noticed my temperature is higher then usual. Its always been 108 ever since new alternator its been getting as high as 119

Sean08ssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute
Sounds like the Battery could be on it's hind legs.
Really?
Its been fine everyday since my last reply so over a week. Today leaving work i was at the lights and the revs went up to 1500 twice, sounded like i was hitting the accelerater a couple times then was fine..also noticed my temperature is higher then usual. Its always been 108 ever since new alternator its been getting as high as 119