Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High lead content in oil particle report? Crank bearings?

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
Hey all,
I got my engine oil tested at the labs at work, this is the report. I know i might be a bit too anal here, but what could be the cause of a higher than normal lead content?
Crankshaft bearing wear? I can't think of any other source really.

-buick 3.8
-penrite hpr30
-5,500ks on oil
-263,500ks on car

"Lead is Slightly High for Hrs/Kms on the Oil, Silicon level is elevated, this may be due to (Si) leaching from seals and/or grease residual. Inspect the Filter(s) for Debris. Investigate and Evaluate Compartment (engine) Condition. Resample after 2,500 kilometres. Sample Note : NEW INLET MANF. GASKETS AND LIFTERS AT LAST SERVICE. SHOULD NO LONGER BE ANY TRACES OF COOLANT IN OIL. MASSIVE LIFTER TICK OR WRIST PIN NOISE AT START UP REMAINS"

All suggestions welcome, thanks

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
been running it on avgas lately? (jk: lead poisoning is bad for cats.... both varieties and will destroy the oxy sensor in case anyone is thinking about it)

I'd be suspecting big end, main or cam shaft bearings, 263,500 km's on the clock it'd be a safe bet to blame these components.
I wouldn't say this is a bad thing as it's the white metal (softer metal) coating on the bearing designed to wear/contact first instead of it running on the copper/tin layer and scratching the journal surface when there's lack of oil between the 2 surfaces.

Tin-lead & tin-copper alloys such as Babbitt metal have a low melting point that is ideal for use as solder, but these alloys also have ideal characteristics for plain bearings. Most importantly for bearings, the material should be hard and wear-resistant and have a low coefficient of friction. It must also be shock-resistant, tough and sufficiently ductile to allow for slight misalignment prior to running-in.
White metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Copper based bearing materials [SubsTech]

I realise you know about the components but have linked the info purely for anyone that doesn't.

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
If you are getting lifter rattle after replacing the lifters as it has stated in your report there then I would be looking at oil pump/pickup/main bearings.

Sounds like your oil pressure is low and your not getting oil to the top end of the engine.

Get the oil pressure tested before driving it too much.

If the oil pressure is low this can be due to:
* Worn oil pump
* slightly blocked oil pickup
* Big end Bearings worn (this is what happened with my last engine, by the time I retired the engine I was getting no oil pressure from the cam up and only 2PSI at idle, I was around the 260,000 mark too)