Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Mileage Tyres for VX

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds like the KU22s are the best bang for buck. Like VC, I too am happy with them so far.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
We put a set of mastercraft (made by cooper) on a customers maza6 diesel. He managed to get just over 100k on a set. After doing the sums on his log book he worked out the long life tyres increased his fuel consumption & would of been better off with 2 sets of Eco tyres than the 1 set of high mileage tyres. Something to consider for your own needs

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I’m very happy with my kumho’s. The hs51 is the best tyre I think I’ve had so far in the sub $200/tyre range. I’ve had the ku22 (currently have), and they’re not as good in the wet and wear more quickly compared to the hs51. They’re a little cheaper than the hs51 - but I’d still buy them again.

Unfortunately the hs51 is only available in certain sizes though. Got the hs51’s on the front and ku22 on the rear. Better when they’re the other way around.

Drekko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S series
Dunlops are a sport tyre....I ran the LM703, in 225/50X16 for about 2 years before I changed brands....Hung on well, but only got about 30,000K out of them in a VC Commodore....

Kumho....What model? What size are you after, as the Kumho has different models depending on the size...But as Losh mentioned, I have run 225/50X16 KU22 for about 5 years now and are extremely happy with them....Got about 40,000K out of the first set with my VC Commodore....On the 2nd set now

Hankooks....Brilliant tyre.....Ran them for about 10 years on another sort of car....The sizes were 235/60X14 and 245/60X14....Can't remember the kays I got from them

Prouato...Never heard of them...

Might go Hankooks then... thanks

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Might go Hankooks then... thanks
I had a horrific experience with hankook optimo’s. 215 60 14. Second scariest tyres I’ve ever driven on in the wet. Not keen on giving them another go myself - I’ve had MUCH better experiences with cheap Chinese tyres to be totally honest.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The question that the OP hasn't answered is size....Yes, I'm happy, amongst others with the Kumho KU22 and yes the HS51 is a nice tyre (replaced the KU31), however knowing the tyre size would help decide whether either of these patterns would be available to suit the OP's car.

This also applies with other brands

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Yes would be good to know.:)

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I had a horrific experience with hankook optimo’s. 215 60 14. Second scariest tyres I’ve ever driven on in the wet. Not keen on giving them another go myself - I’ve had MUCH better experiences with cheap Chinese tyres to be totally honest.
sorry to hear that, I've been using hankooks since i had my VN which i got in 2002 so i have had them in 14" three cars with 15" and now in the 16" all in factory size for the car.
On my VN they were the optimo's and in the 15" and 16" they have been the optimo 2's best tyre in the wet for me bar none and also the best wearing but i did make sure the 14" were silica compound which if i remember correctly the optimo's in the 14" were not all silica compound.
you want to talk about scary tyres in the wet bridgestone re88s now they are scary.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Mine were 'unexpectedly step out sideways at 80k's' in the rain scary. Having said that, the RE92 bridgestones I had about 7 years ago weren't far off that either. I understand not all tyres made by a manufacturer are created equal, but those two tyres are models I'd NEVER try again.

I suppose my biggest problem is that I found them unpredictable and they gave no warning before letting go. You never really appreciate good tyres until you compare them back to back with cheap and nasty tyres.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
i have never had a set of optimo's or optimo 2's step out on me and i've been going around bends on the highway at 110km/h in pouring rain and performed like a rocketsled on rails never deviated an inch but i used to use pirelli and GT radial tyres on my previous car and found the optimo's much better.