Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Mileage Tyres for VX

Drekko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S series
Hi
Im shoppnig around for a set of 4 tyres

I am after high milaege because I travel 2 hours every day for work. I got prices for a couple of tyres here:

Budget is around 80-130 per tyre

I got prices for these :
Kumho KU22 – $116 each
Dunlop DZ102 – $122 each
Hancooks KE22 – $130 each
Prouato $100 each

any others I should ask for? I am going to ring a 2 more places

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Get online and look at the tread wear rating for each of those. While tyre compounds also play a role in how fast it will wear, tread wear rating should give you a good idea about which should last longer.

Drekko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S series
I was googling before but maybe I didnt use the right key words in google
I was searching for high mileage or km's amounts for each tyre

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just look for the tyre specs, should be on the manufacturers site. Can also be called tread depth.

Drekko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S series
Ive been searching and can only find it for the dunlops... :(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think the Dunlops are more of a sport tyre, the KU 22s is what I run. Hankook or KU22 is probably the higher mileage tyre from the ones listed. Talk to KTAS about high mileage tyres. There are some that a guaranteed to get 50K, I just can't remember what they were. I was looking at some but they had no stock in Aust so ended up with Pirellis's on the wife's car.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Don't forget, the harder the tyre, the longer the life, but less grip in the wet.
Softer tyre, less life but much better grip all over.
I'm VERY pleased with my FALKEN 914s, with superb grip cornering and braking and brilliant in the wet.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think the Dunlops are more of a sport tyre, the KU 22s is what I run. Hankook or KU22 is probably the higher mileage tyre from the ones listed. Talk to KTAS about high mileage tyres. There are some that a guaranteed to get 50K, I just can't remember what they were. I was looking at some but they had no stock in Aust so ended up with Pirellis's on the wife's car.

Goodyear Optilife is guaranteed for 50,000K through KTAS, but is absolute crap to drive on from what I've heard.

Be a little wary with KTAS now....Continental bought them out, so they will start to push that brand

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No it wasn't optilife. It may have been another more expensive Kumho. Ive had Optilife and a peice of gravel peirced a brand new tyre. Im not a fan of them.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Dunlops are a sport tyre....I ran the LM703, in 225/50X16 for about 2 years before I changed brands....Hung on well, but only got about 30,000K out of them in a VC Commodore....

Kumho....What model? What size are you after, as the Kumho has different models depending on the size...But as Losh mentioned, I have run 225/50X16 KU22 for about 5 years now and are extremely happy with them....Got about 40,000K out of the first set with my VC Commodore....On the 2nd set now

Hankooks....Brilliant tyre.....Ran them for about 10 years on another sort of car....The sizes were 235/60X14 and 245/60X14....Can't remember the kays I got from them

Prouato...Never heard of them...