Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High octane fuel and the truth

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Yeah. I am no expert but I think the later commodores can run better on higher octane fuel as they can adjust on the fly with the knock sensors.

lol nah holdens too cheap for that..
Not sure bout VE's but I know VY VZ were tuned to run 91.

Though the more exotic holdens like monaros and clubbys ect.. were tuned to run the higher octane.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
They are quite bold sweeping claims to make without giving the tiniest hint as to your qualifications or experience.

You speak like a wannabe petrochemical engineer whose knowledge is so far above ours that it would be demeaning to have to explain yourself.

I call bullshit on your hypothesis.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
lol nah holdens too cheap for that..
Not sure bout VE's but I know VY VZ were tuned to run 91.

Though the more exotic holdens like monaros and clubbys ect.. were tuned to run the higher octane.

I suppose grandmas can't afford 98 or 95 any way. Good point.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
They are quite bold sweeping claims to make without giving the tiniest hint as to your qualifications or experience.

You speak like a wannabe petrochemical engineer whose knowledge is so far above ours that it would be demeaning to have to explain yourself.

Criticism will only get you an infraction.

Dont need claims. Ask any good mechanic.

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6

Have you been pumping your 90's commodore with expensive 98 octane? if i had been i would be calling bull **** to because i hate wasting money.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Just wondering guys, if someone is running standard 91 octane in their vehicle and they want to switch to 95 or 98 octane can you just chuck that on top of the 91 octane, like does it matter if they mix together, or do you need to drain your tank?
My Ute is a V6 Ecotec and i think i remember reading in the manuel that it is tuned to run 91 octane, so thats all i have ever used. However, i have a performance memcal now, and i may need to use 95 or 98 octane with it, or i may benefit anyway.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Just wondering guys, if someone is running standard 91 octane in their vehicle and they want to switch to 95 or 98 octane can you just chuck that on top of the 91 octane, like does it matter if they mix together, or do you need to drain your tank?
My Ute is a V6 Ecotec and i think i remember reading in the manuel that it is tuned to run 91 octane, so thats all i have ever used. However, i have a performance memcal on the way, and i may need to use 95 or 98 octane with it, or i may benefit anyway.

It doesn't matter if they mix. Just remember it will take a couple of tanks before it's pure 98.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
My Ute is a V6 Ecotec and i think i remember reading in the manuel that it is tuned to run 91 octane, so thats all i have ever used. However, i have a performance memcal on the way, and i may need to use 95 or 98 octane with it, or i may benefit anyway.

Nah ur good to go. I usually in these circumstances (having a 98ron chip) use a bottle of nulon race formula octane boost if i cant find anything but standard unleaded.

Depending on the tune, My car runs like **** on 91, okish on 95 but smooth on 98

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can only go off personal experience which is by no means scientific. But when I run 98 I get 600 km's to a tank on anything else it's 400 km's. Although I suspect my car is tuned for 98 already as it refuses to run properly on anything else.

Wraith

Your claims are not credible. You are telling us that your 94 Buick engined VR increases its fuel economy by 50% just by using premium unleaded?

Unless your engine has a much higher compression ratio than standard, or is supercharged, (in which case your economy would go the other way), I can't see any way it's "tuned for 98 already."

But, it's your story and you're entitled to believe it.