Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High pass/low pass filter

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
Hey guys, i have a Pioneer AVH2450-bt headunit, running stock fronts at the moment, rear door kicker KS (waste of money) and kicker ks 6x9's in the parcel shelf, none which are amped.

I recently bought a kicker sub, and am having trouble trying to tune in right. I'm not sure what to set the high pass filter (on the head unit settings) too, and also on the amp what to set the low pass filter too?
I know it goes by sound, but what is a rough guideline of where to run them at? Any help would be appreciated. cheers

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
How are you running 6 speakers from a 4 channel head unit without external amps? How's that wired?

As you said, go by what you think sounds good but a good place to start is 80Hz. You set both filters (LPF & HPF) to 80Hz so the sound overlaps more. If your speakers can't handle the bass at high volumes then you can change both filters up to 100Hz. Personally, I wouldn't go any higher than that for day to day use.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
I'm no sound pro, but for me i found it easiest to set your ideal volume or just a bit louder, whack on a track of the typical sorta music you listen to and just tune it by ear and try and find the best peak volume.
different boxes and set ups will have a certain frequency that will project best. for me i think mine sits around 80Hz.
But thats not a professional technical perspective, for me it was mostly trial and error and going for a few drives till i found exactly what i wanted, something not too droney and high but something not too low so that i could still get the punch outa it on the rockier genres but pitched right enough to get a good peak volume!

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
To be honest i duno how they're wired.. LOL some probably join, ill check that next time my headunit is out :)

And so i set BOTH the filters at about the same? Between 80-100hz?

Coz i don't know if im just being paranoid but it seems like the 6x9's are running hard, they might not be but i duno :/

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You should find out how it's wired as head units can only run 4 speakers from their internal amp... If speakers are wired in series (which they shouldn't be for audio reasons) then the head unit will be fine, it'll be running 8 ohm which is safe. If the speakers are wired in parallel, the head unit will be running at 2 ohm which it's not rated to do and may possibly fry the internal amp.

Yes, both filters set the same. You can set them apart if you find that sounds better to you but it will be creating a slight gap in the frequency response.

If the 6x9's are running too hard, fade the sound forward so the they turn down in relation to the fronts. If the 6x9's are distorting early then it may be cause the head unit is running at 2 ohm, like I mentioned above.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
You should find out how it's wired as head units can only run 4 speakers from their internal amp... If speakers are wired in series (which they shouldn't be for audio reasons) then the head unit will be fine, it'll be running 8 ohm which is safe. If the speakers are wired in parallel, the head unit will be running at 2 ohm which it's not rated to do and may possibly fry the internal amp.

Yes, both filters set the same. You can set them apart if you find that sounds better to you but it will be creating a slight gap in the frequency response.

If the 6x9's are running too hard, fade the sound forward so the they turn down in relation to the fronts. If the 6x9's are distorting early then it may be cause the head unit is running at 2 ohm, like I mentioned above.

Oh okay thanks mate, should have mentioned
i have the Kicker Cvr Single sub, 400wrms
the amp is Kicker zx400.1 monoblock

i just also thought, i wouldnt have a clue how to check how my speakers are run, because there is about 2 or 3 adaptor-type plug things in the back of my headunit... i would not know where to even start the search for the speaker wiring

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
imo if you have a sub and 6x9's you can get away with knocking a bit of bass out of the eq so the speakers arent running so hard and let your sub do all the bass work.
one thing to make sure of is that your stereo is switched to sub out rather than Rear out, depending on the rear wiring some of stereos have shared cables for this but if its purely sub out then forget what i just said haha.
I wouldnt be trying to push too much bass off the 6x9's unless they are amped but its a decent headunit so it should have a good output.
Best to find a good level eq for all your speakers to perform their best at a good volume (fading can help) and then add your sub level to that to get a good mix :) pretty sure im just ranting but trial and error is the best way to go

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
imo if you have a sub and 6x9's you can get away with knocking a bit of bass out of the eq so the speakers arent running so hard and let your sub do all the bass work.

whats the way to get this happening!? thats exactly what i want haha!

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
whats the way to get this happening!? thats exactly what i want haha!

Just rebalance your eq, easy as. You can take as much bass out of all your speakers as you want but tbh if you have a sub then you dont really need a whole lot of other bass through your speakers. Obviously they can give better higher range bass than a sub will but if they arent amped speakers and just straight off the head deck then you can get a higher overall volume by sacrificing some bass.
But that is where your sub comes into play. you should be able to control the sub level completely separate from all the other speakers, so set the bass end to whatever you want that way :)

hope that all makes sense. thats just from my personal opinions tho :)
let us know how it goes!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The high pass filter limits the bass to the speakers. If you reduce the bass with the EQ then the subwoofer bass will be reduced too. Just set the filters properly and go from there.