Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] High Performance Vehicle Exemption guideline changes

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
So I have been doing some research while bored at home and came across this.

Department of Transport and Main Roads Probationary Approved Cars

Basically what this means is you look up the vehicle you wish to purchase or have. See if it's not banned if it's not and it falls under these rules listed on this site;

High-powered (performance) vehicle restriction (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

Certificate of exemption for driving a high-powered (performance) vehicle

If you hold a P1 or P2 licence you may be eligible for a certificate of exemption to enable you to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle. Please read the Certificate of Exemption high-powered vehicle Information Sheet (form S4478) for further information.

You are eligible to apply for an exemption to drive a high-powered (performance) vehicle if you can prove that one of the following circumstances applies to you.

1. Moderately-powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicle

You may apply for a certificate of exemption if the vehicle you wish to drive meets all of the following:

has a turbocharged or supercharged engine that is not diesel powered
has a power-to-weight ratio of not more than 125kW/t
does not have any other features of a high-powered vehicle as outlined above.

The power-to-weight ratio means the ratio (expressed in kilowatts per tonne) calculated by dividing the car’s maximum engine power in kilowatts by the kerb weight and multiplying the product of the division by 1000. For example, the power to weight ratio of a vehicle that has a maximum engine power of 195kW and a kerb weight of 1667kg would be calculated as follows: (195÷1667) × 1000 = 117kW/tonne

You may be eligble for an exemption. So no there isn't a blanket ban on vehicles with forced induction. Even the L67 VS calais is applicable for an exemption.

Hope that this helps people understand a bit better..

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hm thought the P platers of JC would enjoy being made aware of the new legislation in qld. Guess not.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Similar laws are in place in Victoria, you can drive super 6's and so forth, provided they can be defined as a 'family' car, such as a Statesman. A Monaro, conversely, does not.

NSW, however, still do not. All supercharged, turbocharged and 8 cylinder Commodores are still banned.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Similar laws are in place in Victoria, you can drive super 6's and so forth, provided they can be defined as a 'family' car, such as a Statesman. A Monaro, conversely, does not.

NSW, however, still do not. All supercharged, turbocharged and 8 cylinder Commodores are still banned.

Only put through as of last month. Guess the glory days of a P plater tax are diminishing now.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Well I think they are finally realizing that a family might own a old Stato or perhaps a bigger Nissan Patrol or something of that nature and the kids aren't hoons by nature, nor do most families have the luxury of simply buying another car to meet stupid regulations of not having forced induction.
Especially when my Dad's SV6 pumps out near on 200kw where as the old 5.0L in the VT's was about... 225kw? Sorry if that's wrong, but it was in that ball park anyway. His a 6, nearly as powerful as a V8, and yet the 8 is banned because it SO much more dangerous... go figure.

Oh well, least I'll have the money for a V8 when I get my blacks!

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
NSW is still a good old nanny state... only 2 weeks left till my blacks so i cant complain

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Similar thing with exemptions available in Vic. I'm pretty sure If you lose your license or get done hoon driving they can take your exemption away and you cant drive your car anymore so its an added incentive not do drive like a wank