Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Pitch Noise from Speakers

gobrien002

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Series II S
Gday
my father installed a sub and amp in my car. soldered every connection and was very fussy to do the job right and he has.
At first it was working perfectly...but lately i have had a high pitched noise when the sound is off and turned up coming from my front and rear speakers. The pitch goes higher the higher my RPM is and is very frustrating! The sound quality is below half of what it was originally my speakers distort and my sub becomes somewhat gutless. any ideas what it could be? I have reset the head unit and played around with the amp setting many times.
any suggestions will be appreciated!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Search for whining noise and alternator noise... This question is asked quite often.

What brand head unit? Are the speakers that are whining run from an amp or the head unit?

If from an amp, it usually means the ground between the head unit and amp via the RCA's is broken. This can mean an RCA is not pushed in all the way (will only affect that channel), ground in RCA broken (will only affect that channel). Pioneer head units have an internal fuse on the RCA ground track which can blow and cause this noise on all channels. This doesn't usually happen without touching anything though.

Tell us all your equipment and if you've changed anything in the stereo lately.

gobrien002

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Series II S
The sound is coming from both the front and rear speakers for sure. The Sony headunit which is packed in as the cabling behind it is bulky...im going to pull it out and have a look.

AMP - FXA 4060 Cadence 800w 4 Channel
Head Unit - Sony CDX-GT570
Rear Speakers - Sony 270w xs-V1642A 4way 6"
12" 1000w Sony Sub

Last edited:

gobrien002

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Series II S
Yes all 4 speakers are running off the amp.

gobrien002

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Series II S
fixed the issue by playing around with my amplifier, the gain and or frequency were too high. thanks for the suggestions.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
neither the gain or frequency Hz settings should have responsible for the problems you have described, i'm guessing your just not expereincing the problem at the moment, and it's coincidental that at the same time you adjusted the settings on the amp....

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
neither the gain or frequency Hz settings should have responsible for the problems you have described, i'm guessing your just not expereincing the problem at the moment, and it's coincidental that at the same time you adjusted the settings on the amp....

Ive got the same problem , when i turn the gain/frequency down on my amp the noise goes away. I like having the gain up though , but ive gotta put up with that annoying noise.

Is there anyway you could get rid of the noise while still having the gain up?
Im guessing maybe a farad capasitor might fix it..not sure though!

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
*facepalm*

gain is not a volume control.

a capacitor will do nothing.