Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High pressure air sound on drivers side of motor

CRCinAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 EQUIPE
Hi all,

This is a new one for me.... Today the Mrs got home from driving and told me the car is making a ticking sound... Opened up the bonnet and all looked normal... When she started it, I can hear what sounds to be a high pressure air escaping from somewhere down the drivers side of the motor.

I can't quite figure out where its coming from - if its exhaust, or something escaping under the rocker cover? I should clarify that it isn't a constant hiss - but more a pfft pfft pfft pfft pfft that increases in speed as the engine does...

It seems to idle normally - not excessively rough or as if a cylinder is missing...

I'm thinking of pulling off individual spark leads at the ignition side just to see if there is a difference in idle on each cylinder - but I thought I'd try to get some ideas from here before I get too involved...

Its a 95VR v6... about 460,000km on the dial...

I did have that bastard hose under the alternator that goes to the LPG evaporator split over the weekend - so I replaced that and the bar that goes into the block (stupid plastic parts!).

Any thoughts on what to check?

CRCinAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 EQUIPE
Just took this to the mechanics - they say the noise sounds like compression related - so they seem to think its the head... They also mentioned that it may be possible to fit a gasket on there - as these models don't have one as stock to fix the problem.

They also quoted around $1500-$2000 to do this. To me, that sounds a bit excessive - but I can't say I've had to do this to any car before...

Thoughts in general?

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
Do a compression test, should tell if its a head or not. If it is you can pick up a whole engine for less than $900 with low km and drop that in.

CRCinAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 EQUIPE
Do a compression test, should tell if its a head or not. If it is you can pick up a whole engine for less than $900 with low km and drop that in.

Yeah - I did think of this - but I don't have a compression tool at this stage - or any transport to go get one - except driving the same car...

I briefly mentioned to the mechanic about just replacing the motor, he said ~$3000-$3500... which to me sounds excessive as well :(

spud_22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Wagon, VS UTE, 96 VS Senator
Thats crap you can buy a new vs for that price. Any friends with some tools and a engine crane or rafter and block and tackle? Not to hard once you get started, just need to be able to get the engine out and new one in.

CRCinAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 EQUIPE
Thats pretty much what I thought re the VS etc... Especially with the number of Km this VR has done (as I said, above 460,000). I'm seeing engines on ebay etc for ~$400-$500 with some of the places able to do an install as well. Means I may be able to get engine + install for around $1000. It seems that most motors seem to have ~1/2 the km on them as this one as well.

At this stage, I don't know anyone with all the kit to do it. The thing I don't understand is that it still runs well - it accelerates fine, it idles well - so I'm at a bit of a loss there.

Good idea about the spark plugs - I haven't changed them in a while so I must say I didn't even think about checking them... Will give that a go...

CRCinAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 EQUIPE
This looks a bit strange... I pulled out all the plugs along the drivers side and this was the one that came out of Cylinder #6. (drivers side rear).

IMG_20130607_172725.jpg

Theres a lot of residue on the end of the spark plug (not the spark end). I cleaned this up with a wire brush and put it in a cylinder on the passenger side to see if the noise moved to the opposite side - but the noise was still present in the same place. All the plugs looked used on the drivers side - but no real buildup or anything on the cylinder side...

It seems to be coming from around this cylinder - but I can't see anything immediately obvious. Theres also a larger amount of buildup around the actual plug itself on the engine block...

Thoughts?

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Far out those plugs have seen better days. I would be changing them.

If its leaking oil on the plug it could be rocker cover. Wouldnt be making that sound though.

Made sure exhaust manifold isnt loose?

CRCinAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 EQUIPE
Yeah - its difficult as I can't see jack **** down that side of the engine due to the ABS module etc. I've given a few things a bit of a shake, but nothing seems loose... The hard part is that I don't think I'm going to be able to see anything unless I start pulling things apart :(