Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High stall torque converter - VT V6

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
I've read up abit on these torque converters for auto trans but still don't get it 100%. What i would like to know though is if they do any long or short term damage/wear to the tranny? So basically they give higher RPM and most torque on takeoff at the wheels at once is this correct? So in all honesty is it safe to be pushing higher RPM's than usual on an ecotec and would this be a suitable upgrade if i was after some performance?

vxcp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
what do u mean by higher revs, my commodore revs up to 5 and a half b4 it changes (flogging it) so reving shouldnt be an issue but as with anything u flog/ or push to hard its eventually going to have wear and tear.

phatvtcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT
what do u mean by higher revs, my commodore revs up to 5 and a half b4 it changes (flogging it) so reving shouldnt be an issue but as with anything u flog/ or push to hard its eventually going to have wear and tear.

Yeah you're not wrong there, but what id like to know is this converter obviously alters the RPM to some extent so does it put pressure on the factory trans that is obviously not built to withstand these mods or is it no biggie?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yeah you're not wrong there, but what id like to know is this converter obviously alters the RPM to some extent so does it put pressure on the factory trans that is obviously not built to withstand these mods or is it no biggie?

To an extent yes. You start doing 4000rpm launches, your going to damage the transmission.

You drive normally and do the occasional launch at the track, than it will hold.

Torque isn't a huge issue with the 4L60E, it was meant for a light-truck. Start throwing a 600NM V8 at it, and yes stuff will break.

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
yeah but a 600NM is heavy, i there's not many things that wouldn't break if it got one thrown at it. thankfully i don't know many people big enough to throw a big V8

as with practically all performance parts, an increase of engine speed, pressures, consumption, whatever, means you are increasing wear and tear on other components, this is why when people modify their car they also include heavy duty parts to increase durability.

personally i dont think its a worthwhile mod in a v6 vt, unless its an L67, and even then i would be doing many things first, cooler, cam, diff gears etc.

fullboost

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT berlina
stall converters help your take off when you have your foot on the brake and accelerator , so normal for ecotec is 2-2.5 rpm and if you add a stall converter you can get up to 4-6 rpm with your foot on the brake and accelerator
and yes if you do it all the time its bad for the transmission because your putting force on the transmission and not letting it do its job properly

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
All a high stall will allow you to do is increase the rpm which the car will have most power from. Ie. if you had a 4k stall converter, when at the lights and you floor it, the torque converter will slip more in the low rpm then grab higher up in the rpm, meaning a better take off. It will still drive fine when cruising although it will slip more in the low rpm. When it slips, it generated heat, so ideally you want to fit a trans cooler as well to keep down the temp. As for damage, I doubt it will make any, an ecotec, even with boost will not damage anything. It will break at the weakest link which is usually at the tyres, so expect to do a burnout at launch everytime you floor it from a standstill. That's my understanding of it anyways

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
There's a thread on this topic in the V6 Development section. Go have a read through that.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
stall converters help your take off when you have your foot on the brake and accelerator , so normal for ecotec is 2-2.5 rpm and if you add a stall converter you can get up to 4-6 rpm with your foot on the brake and accelerator
and yes if you do it all the time its bad for the transmission because your putting force on the transmission and not letting it do its job properly

no way..... I have a 4000 stall and can't even foot brake stall that high, starts spinning the wheels just over 2500> and thats at the strip