Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High stall torque converter - VT V6

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I don't think it works as in foot stall, it's more a mash the accelerator that a high stall works, or very fast foot brake.

King diddy calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais 05 Alloytec 190 with a secret mod
The best part about thou ye ol 4speeds is that they cost next to nothing so if you somehow break the thing....just buy another one for the price of a couple slabs. Also I reckon a 4k stally on a vt would be epic and just plain fun altogether. I would be also looking toward the diff too, might give out quickly too. (might)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
From memory the standard V6 ecotec converter has a stall speed of about 1800rpm.

I'm certainly no expert but there seems to be some mis-conceptions about high stall converters. High stall converters would only flash to their rated stall speed when a lot of torque is applied by the engine i.e. when you mash the loud pedal. The point of this is to allow the converter to slip so that the engine can get further into the torque band allowing for better acceleration. When only a small amount of throttle is used as per normal street duties then the converter will engage a lot sooner. Modern high stall converters are a lot better than the earlier loose converters we all hear horror stories about. A quality modern high stall converter would only slip a couple 100 more rpm than your stock converter and really won't effect the way the car drives until you get stuck into it.

As mentioned above, due to the fact that the converter will slip a little more than the stock item, a large quality external transmission cooler is highly recommended.

For the late model cars which have lock up converters, as long as you don't want a huge high stall (generally the higher the stall converter, the smaller the converter is and there is no room internally to fit the lock up clutch), the lock up function can be retained so your highway cruising mileage will not be effected. Tweak the tune so that 3rd gear lock up is utilised more for even better results :)

When it comes to sizing the high stall converters, most shops will ask a dyno print out showing the torque/power curves. On a stock V6 I really don't think you need more than 3000rpm. I'm about to fit a 2800rpm converter so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Immortality is right on the money. I've got a 2500 stall with 3.46:1 diff. Makes a huge difference in an ecotec. I've kept lock up function and when your just driving around like grandpa, it behaves like a stock converter. But mash the loud pedal and it'll flash stall to about 2700 and sling shot away. Also my fuel economy has improved since fitting the stall and diff gears. And a big cooler is a must.

trev1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute v6
From memory the standard V6 ecotec converter has a stall speed of about 1800rpm.

I'm certainly no expert but there seems to be some mis-conceptions about high stall converters. High stall converters would only flash to their rated stall speed when a lot of torque is applied by the engine i.e. when you mash the loud pedal. The point of this is to allow the converter to slip so that the engine can get further into the torque band allowing for better acceleration. When only a small amount of throttle is used as per normal street duties then the converter will engage a lot sooner. Modern high stall converters are a lot better than the earlier loose converters we all hear horror stories about. A quality modern high stall converter would only slip a couple 100 more rpm than your stock converter and really won't effect the way the car drives until you get stuck into it.

As mentioned above, due to the fact that the converter will slip a little more than the stock item, a large quality external transmission cooler is highly recommended.

For the late model cars which have lock up converters, as long as you don't want a huge high stall (generally the higher the stall converter, the smaller the converter is and there is no room internally to fit the lock up clutch), the lock up function can be retained so your highway cruising mileage will not be effected. Tweak the tune so that 3rd gear lock up is utilised more for even better results :)

When it comes to sizing the high stall converters, most shops will ask a dyno print out showing the torque/power curves. On a stock V6 I really don't think you need more than 3000rpm. I'm about to fit a 2800rpm converter so we'll see how that goes.
Lol its a fluid conection if it connects at 4k then thats it roughly 4k not a hundred or so on slight accell

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67